That is one hell of a walk, stunning.
More evidence of breeding in Funzie…Everything is at it.
Tresta beach with Lamb Hoga in the background, bathed in late evening sunshine.
Behind the beach is a freshwater loch - Papil Water - and the Island Kirk.
Super impressed with this 90mm f2.8 lens, this huge crop from the photograph above is quite acceptable, to my eyes at least.
Glorious day, I’ve spent at least 8 hours outdoors today, the housework can wait for a rainy day!
Beautiful place Paul.
Fantastic shots, day and life Paul.
Have you ever been to Luton ? Just asking for a friend 
Yes. I went there for a fortnight, one weekend.
![]()
Welcome to my world.
To be fair, I’ve only been to the airport a few times. Even then, @coco collects me and drives away from the place at warp factor 7
Fascinating to learn about the no fly zone over funzie and the shot you took of how revelers get around the restrictions.
Sounds delish ![]()
Today (I see it’s 12:30 so make that yesterday) I did some voluntary work for the RSPB. They are doing a Shetland-wide survey of breeding Whimbrel. The first of its kind for many years and much needed to assess the status of this extremely rare British breeding bird.
I’m doing two surveys for them, the first one was this area
Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 20.35.20 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
I realise that this map will be meaningless to most but at least it gives a small idea of the type of terrain and the size of the survey plot.
The western end started with a walk along the track to a ruinous old croft named “Still”
Still 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
A pity that it was left to the elements and ended up in this state but the owner won’t even consider selling it, even now that it is beyond renovation.
Anyway, nearby there is a quite bizarre folly in a walled garden that lies around a mile from the nearest road and I have no idea why it was built?
Oh, hang on, it’s a folly…
Still folly 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
Even more baffling is that they incorporated some Roman? columns that are still in reasonable condition
Still folly 2 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
Looking back towards Still with a Bonxie overhead
Bonxie and Still 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
Moving further North the coast is reached and the view, with Unst in the background, is a pleasing sight.
Northwest to Unst 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
A little to the East is the peninsula of the Ness of Gruting
Ness of Gruting 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
The survey was a little disappointing, quite possibly due to the remarkably dry state of the land - there has been very little rain for weeks - and only 3 pairs of Whimbrel were recorded as being “on-territory”
Willa Water was as low as I’ve ever seen it
Willa Water 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
The last part of the survey took me to an area which was the perfect habitat for waders, until it became clear that the Bonxies were in residence!
As expected, they relished every single opportunity to dive-bomb me which they did with incredible accuracy!
They get remarkably close without making actual contact but they are large birds and can be intimidating if you’ve never experienced it before.
Bonxie 17 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
That’s the first survey completed and I’ll submit the fairly sparse sightings when I’ve completed the next one. Probably this coming Sunday, weather permitting.
At least it was fabulous weather and now all that remains is to smear the aftersun on and anticipate how much I’m going to ache in the morning!
I can’t see much Gruting going on. Have they all scrambled down the cliffs round the far side, away from prying eyes (and cameras) ? Or are they just on their break ?
Well I gave it a try. Not the greatest Simmer Dim you’re likely to see but it gives you an idea of what it was like around midnight.
Went up to the transmitter mast with my camera, a hip flask of nice malt and a large cigar

Bear in mind that Unst is NW of here, so that hides the best of the glow on the horizon. One day I will go to the cliffs of Hermaness where there are uninterrupted views (NNW - as that is where the sun actually “sets” at this time of year) across the sea and if it is a clear night then the glow of the sun is visible above the horizon throughout the short period between setting and rising.
Looking NNW from the transmitter mast (20mm lens)
Simmer Dim 01 21 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
Another view in the same direction (90mm lens)
Simmer Dim 03 21 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
And finally looking South with the moon behind the mast
Simmer Dim 02 21 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
We may get a better night for viewing in the next week or so and if that is the case I might well try again in the hope of better results.
The most impressive property on the Island - Leagarth. Whatever you think of the exterior (which I like) inside it is nothing short of spectacular.
Leagarth 01 27 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr
Disappointing not to see an outdoor swimming pool tbh
very nice indeed.
It’s in the foreground.
It’s called the sea.
The wild flowers are all starting to bloom now, the next few weeks are going to be a riot of colour.
Meadow 01 27 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

