Obituaries

Not high pitched enough - you can still hear it

2 Likes

Sorry, that was a Jon from Yes squeaky Meh! which is fairly high-pitched but really abso-feckin’-lutely annoying. Like the real thing…

Shall I put you down as a maybe for this album?

1 Like

Microdisney, Fatima Mansions and most recently Telefís, which I’ve enjoyed greatly.

:frowning_face:

God that is a big surprise. I really enjoyed the Telefís LP, even if it was less deranged than expected. ‘Only Losers Take The Bus’ is an all time favourite here.

1 Like

Fuck. I knew Cathal quite well.

One of my best friends Nick Allum was drummer for the 'Mansions, who at their height were just about the best live band out there.

At Nick’ s 40th, long after they had split, they re-formed and played Neil Young’s Fucking Up, their own Only Losers Take The Bus and Blues For Ceaucescu. This was in a tiny room above The Reliance pub in Old St. No kidding, this was probably the finest rock’n’roll experience of my life. Everyone in that room was blown away.

Really, he was an incredible performer. He was magnetic at the best of times but in a weeny room, he was almost too much. He hardly moved during the first two songs, just stood stock still picking out all of us one by one, staring us down.

Half way through Blues For Ceaucescu he went berserk, punching the air and high kicking, whipping the mic lead around. It was so exhilarating! By this time I’d seen the band many times and knew what to expect but even so, he took me totally by surprise.

When they finished there was stunned silence for about five seconds until everyone came to, and then an ovation (from about 50 people :joy:) that went on and on.

Seriously, one of the most underrated writers and performers of our generation, with a fantastic voice and an unpredictable sense of theatre which always felt dangerous.

RIP. :sob:

17 Likes
11 Likes

Fuuuuuck no.

Always thought he should have won the oscar for goodfellas. After that hanibal film everytime I hear his name I see hopkins cutting out a bit of his brain.

1 Like

With great sadness…

Another of my heroes gone.

8 Likes

Wow, that’s a shock.

67 is no age

:frowning_face:

1 Like

Very sad news.

1 Like

I feel like dieing tomorrow to see if any of you give a shit :hugs:

That’s sad news on both counts :frowning_face:

Jesus another one gone

2 Likes

Tears :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Well today’s an absolute shit sandwich :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Another sandwich…

1 Like

Really genuinely saddened.

1 Like

I had no idea you were a machine tool operator, TBH…

Also, 2016 is back, fate is listening, be very careful what you wish for… :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I really liked him in unlawful entry

Sad day all round,anyway,here’s a song

https://youtu.be/-_3dc6X-Iwo

2 Likes