Passive house

planning a long term move from my very leaky victorian freezer to a house we can heat with an ikea tealight

Anyone made the leap?

Or seen anything that catches the eye designwise, obvs it needs a double garage I can convert to a mancave for the hifi but otherwise not restricted by where what it looks liike

I wont get away with self build so its a developer site or someone selling their project I will be looking for

1 Like

What about a Huffhaus? More a self assembly than self build…

1 Like

I was always told active was better than passive? :grinning:

We built our house (in France) ten years ago - wood frame & foot-thick wood fibre panel insulation with render on the outside.
We lived in an old draughty farmhouse before that and the difference in comfort (summer & winter) and in energy bills is dramatic.
We’ve got a ground source heat pump for heating but the Viva Solista does a pretty good job of warming the place up on it’s own :grin:

good point - my valve amps and the conrad johnson 350w power should sort my heating out if I get the insulation right

I figure if I get the move right its the equivalent of £8k a year added to my pension so well worth doing before we retire

really looking for someone selling something like this Eco property for sale or to rent in Wistanswick (nr Market Drayton), Shropshire - If it's green, it's on GreenMoves

Yep, we moved last year from a terraced 1910 house to a detached 2015 house Darren.

Combined gas/lecky monthly payment at the old place was £190, here it’s £80. :+1::grinning:

1 Like

You’ll be wanting this …

Wood glass looks cool, might be an option for upgrading the sash windows one day

Good to hear it’s worked for you Jim, is yours an eco house in any way or just modern build standards of insulation so pretty good

I fancy the whole heat pump, solar, Tripp,e glazed thing ,úselo but it seems to come with a 20% uplift in price on buying a house of similar size than hasn’t been eco proofed

We live in a house built in 2004. It is superbly insulated. We are looking to move in the next year or so and will look for a house of a similar vintage as it is just so comfortable and the heating bills are extremely reasonable.

Not a Persimmon or Barrett build then?

Our house was built in 1990. It is shit. Probably more down to the builder, but I am sure building standards were lower, as well.

The standards might or might not have been, but in the end a lot comes down to the enforcement of them. 1990 was the middle of a housing market crash (as I know to my cost :frowning_face: - it took us 20 months to sell our house) so I guess builders were faced with a very tough market and there would have been pressure to cut costs.

VB

Building a Passive house is probably the easiest way to live in one. Sickeningly few are being built.

We did all the controls for the passive house estate at Little Kelham in Sheffield. Amazing site. 120 houses, running from 10mw.

We had a system where the coldest house had priority on heating. The warmest would wait.

We did joke that come Christmas day, when 120 Turkeys were being cooked they might have found their houses quite cold and dark. :joy:

1 Like

If people want advice on energy saving tech you can apply to even the leakiest house, I’ll happily share some tips.

6 Likes

Yeh, bit it looks great Gregg and what’s more it has a music barn :+1:

That would be very kind, but I doubt we could afford very much, if any, of it.
Our neighbours have just had air source heat recovery system installed. About £18,000 I think.

@FatCuntTroller is right, you don’t see many true Passivehaus speculatively for the housing market. Mainly due to PH adding a premium to build-cost that sees developers no short term return.

Conversions are possible, I have a friend who doubled the space of his end terrace house and converted the lot to PH. If you can buy something that needs renovation/complete remodel this is an option. John Christophers, the architect is super-passionate about sustainability and has open house events to encourage others to embrace the ideas.

The principles of PH can be adopted, rather than seeking the full whammy certification, as that can limit how the house is occupied in terms of opening windows, size of windows/orientation etc.

1 Like

Redrow. I was surprised it was well built. I despised new builds, until I lived in one.

This vintage had decent sized windows so there is plenty of light. The roads and pavements are wide too. I notice that on new builds currently being built the roads and pavements are extremely narrow.

Suspect our house is beyond saving but very happy to hear the advice on reducing the leaks. We have large north facing windows with little on the south and lots of conservation features so insulating inside seems not an option. Curtains and replacing the single pain windows with I fit casements is our current plan

1995’ish era Barratts home here :roll_eyes::disappointed:

About as fit for purpose as a chocolate fireguard.