Personal hotspots

20 minutes north of Inverness…
My BT line gives me 3.5 mps, now have 4g router from 3, can only get 3g but I’m getting a ping of 48 and a steady 20-25 mps, no data cap.

24 month contract, free router and £17 squids month, BT were charging £68.

1 Like

I was using a 4G SIM card in a modem with wall mounted external antenna, I went with omni directional as my area was really shit for phone signals.

I was getting 100MB down and 40MB up with a pretty rock solid signal.

1 Like

Here we go then

Shetland Broadband

Personal Hotspot - iPhone on Vodafone network

Not fast but a hell of a lot better than SB

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071CYR18L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGFPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

what the fuck is going on with links no longer generating previews???

Dunno, but that thing you linked to is unavailable

It was the modem and antenna I bought but the newest modem will be fine

1 Like

The upload on the phone is profoundly better, which will have all sorts of positives, not least your video calls. But perversely you also need a bit of upload headroom to get reasonable downloads, so they will be improved too.

Just be very careful about Vodafone wallet rape. It’s very easy to chew through your allowances on 4G.

1 Like

Yes, as I said it isn’t fast by any means but it’s massively better than the shite I’m used to. Going to spend the extra £7/mth on unlimited data and bin Shetland Broadband in a months time if it stays this way.

2 Likes

I used a 4G router for eighteen months while in the post divorce shed as it didn’t have a phone line. The performance (up and down) was better than I get on ADSL in my current place but the 100gb/m limit that Three limited me to (since lifted) was a pain. A few hours of video on demand would nuke a significant amount of allowance.

1 Like

I’m reliably informed that

Within the UK, there’s no fair usage limit on Vodafone’s unlimited data plans

All is good :+1:

1 Like

Yes, Three is now the same. In 2018 though, they were capped- initially at 40Gb/m (that was very difficult when you consider I work from home) then 100Gb/m. My colleague on AVF now uses a Three unlimited contract and absolutely fucking canes it with no penalty so I’m fairly sure you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Yes, that info is on the Vodafone website. As long as it’s UK there is no limit provided it is for personal and non-commercial use

You’ll have to dial back on your Funzie FM and professional Twitch streamer ambitions.

1 Like

Another burgeoning career nipped in the bud

Yeah and you’re allowed to tether as well with no limits, as far as I can see, so you should be good.

It may still be worth getting a dedicated device to act as router.

1 Like

Ok, so I presume (bear with me, I’m a luddite when it comes to this stuff) I would need an additional data only SIM plus the hardware that you recommended (or similar) and then I could place it in the house at the point where I get the best reception?

yes - I’d look at getting an external antenna and 4g router to maximise the 4g signal you’re getting

1 Like

Unlikely to get the same tariff. Vodafone will hike a data-only SIM price because they know utilisation on this type of SIM is higher. You could get a voice +data number and just shove that in it but is there really any point when reception’s fine and there isn’t any situation where two devices need to be used at the same time?

1 Like

you should be able to add a SIM to your account.

I did with EE, had three SIMs (phone, car and alarm) all on the same account