Personal hotspots

I’ve had no issues with Vodafone, ok they’re not the cheapest but they’ve been reliable (apart from when the mast received a lightning strike!) and the signal is the only one that works on ~90% of the Island.

We have virgin cable internet which is scary fast but they gave us a backup mifi router and sim for if it ever goes down (and before installing)
This is a 5gb sim that switches to unlimited if our house bb goes down. We used it when we moved in and it copes well with a family of 4

On the subject…

We are faced with no broadband until 19th April.
Sky will pay for any fix we can put in place for two weeks. Phone tethering is being used now, but it’s not going to handle two weeks of household use.

Anything we can get that provides Wi-fi short term and is going to handle wfh and the usual demands?

Stick some dosh in the AA kitty and you can borrow my 4G modem/router it’s got an unlimited data SIM in that I’ve kept active as a backup.

Off the builtin antenna I was getting around 20MB down and 20MB up in a shit signal area.

4 Likes

That would be superb. My wife is chained to her phone and it will only get enough signal in the lounge or top bedroom (not her office that her work have just paid for a large screen and set up).
She’s going nuts using her iPhone.

We aren’t getting connected until at least 19th. If you can post it next day I’ll cover all the costs. Sky have offered to pay whatever it costs too, so if there is a subscription let me know and we will claim it back (even if just to Chuck into the kitty)

Really kind.

PM me your address details and I’ll stick it in the post tomorrow.

4 Likes

By way of an update, as of today I no longer have Shetland Broadband. I’ve just cancelled the subscription, effective immediately (there was no contract/notice period)

So I’m now totally dependent on my Vodafone personal hotspot. It’s worked pretty seamlessly for a month now (as witnessed in the Alehouse) and works out at ~£12/mth cheaper too.

[[waits for inevitable Vodafone outage :grinning:]]

8 Likes

It has seemed quite a lot better these past few weeks. Win.

1 Like

I haven’t got a hotspot, but I have got a damp patch :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

That comes with retirement :+1:

:sob:

1 Like