Photography (Mostly reposts, no actual original content)

Touching his peepee, probably the only person who would.

This is probably the most powerful and thought provoking photograph I have ever taken.
Taken at Auschwitz, it was a grab shot of the display case housing the footwear of children who did not survive the ’ selection process’ for life.
I can’t help but think of the encouraging words and reassurances given to these poor fearful souls by their parents as they were transported like cattle to the camp, very saddening and difficult to contemplate such cruelty and despair.
Not a photograph to be proud of, but when I look at World politics, it’s certainly food for thought.

10 Likes

Where is that? Near Salcombe?

I think I have a bit of something in my eye…

1 Like

It’s the mouth of the Yealm.

1 Like

Is this at 1:1? I’m not sure I’m seeing the issue?

Its not particularly sharp is it.

I cant tell from a 2000x1000 reduction highly compressed jpeg.

Are you shooting RAW? What sharpness settings are you using? What software?

There is a good chance the 24 megapixel sensor will out resolve the lens by a long way as well, I’d probably expect about 12mp of actual resolution.

Yes shooting RAW (+JPG)
No sharpness, im going straight from camera on these as im trying to work out if lens is a dud.

There is always sharpness applied in some form, there has to be, the matrix on a ccd isn’t sharp. When shooting jpeg the camera always adds a bunch of sharpness as it processes the file.

Can you post a 1:1 crop where you don’t think it’s sharp?

As soon as you scale down, it applies sharpness etc, and JPEG messes about with it as well.

Um, I’ll try…

Or just send me a raw file :grin:

I can do that, i think gmail will send as a link to google drive

Just some examples:
Nikon D600 full frame
24-85 f3.5-4.5 kit lens
All 1:1 no reduction

Shot at F8, this lens can resolve about 8-10 mega pixels ish, so on a full crop it looks a little soft. This is with no sharpening applied at all. F2.8 lenses arnt always that much sharper, however they get sharper are lower apertures. The optimum is usually a couple of stops down, so f2.8 is great at 4-5.6 while the f3-4 lenses work best at f8-11 which needs a decent amount of light. And no nice bokeh for portraits.

Processed and sharpened.

Now my sharpest lens, 85mm f1.8, resolves about 20mp.

F4 cropped out of the middle, it starts a decent amount sharper.

But once processed not much in it.

Full size to give a sense of the crop involved. Both lenses will print a huge print just fine. Once scaled to 1000-2000 ish for sharing on line, no difference at all.

I’m not into pixel peeping much, but I wouldn’t be surprised if your lens is fine, sensors are better than lenses at the minute.

My comparison is to my previous Canon gear, which did seem to produce sharper images.

Was it the same 24mp?

No, was 20.2.

https://pixelpeeper.com/adv/?lens=14124&camera=2209&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&iso_min=none&iso_max=none&exp_min=none&exp_max=none&res=1

I mean, just looking at these samples of the lens on 26mp, They are about what I would expect to be honest, some are over sharpened or have heave noise reduction going on, have a compare to yours.

Wow , that is a very very thought provoking photograph and so relevant when we think of todays politics

1 Like

I find it particularly disturbing, especially when attempting to imagine the story that each shoe could tell of hope and despair, joy and sadness, laughter and tears. Mans inhumanity to man.

3 Likes