Pick my son a car

One word of warning- unusually for me it’s not a pisstake for once.

That 1.8 LPT motor is honestly one of the nicest engines VAG has made this century. The catch is that is makes even sensible people behave like headcases. It was the motor in my Yamaha company Audi A3 and- while the rest of the car was unrelentingly dreadful, that engine was great. Even my ex-wife drove it like an extra in Gone in 60 Seconds though so we never (ever) got anywhere near 40mpg. In fact I came bottom of the company fuel economy charts for the entire time I worked there except for the week where one rep drove home from the Scottish borders with a broken injector system in his 5 Series doing 11mpg.

I’ve never met your son; he might be the exception to the rule, but I’d be very careful giving him that. It’s a sensational Q car though.

What about a Mazda2? My wife has one of these, the Diesel 1.5L version and it is very good, loads of headroom, refined on the motorway and actually quite fun to drive. This version is on the cusp of £5k compared to the previous gen, although I’ve no experience of the older models.

Seems a lot of car for the money.

1 Like

Provisional insurance on my Mini Cooper S is only £500 ish. So I might just teach him to drive in that.

Just need to fix it. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s a quick car to learn in…

Provisional I suppose so someone will always be sat with him. With lessons being so expensive I’m hoping I can get the basics covered and he can then just have a few to get him up to standard.

5 Likes

When my daughter was learning we bought her her own “provisional policy” for driving our car. This meant if she did have a collision our policies were not adversely affected. Her policy concluded as soon as she passed her test. The policy was fairly modestly priced. There seems to be loads of “Learner Driver Policies” available.

The main thing is to practise as much as he can, I think. Anyone who passes when all the driving they did was a lesson a week has done really well!

Wife got involved.

Last time I let her pick a car she chose a Citroen.

They picked a Citroen.

:weary:

7 Likes

At least it isn’t a feckin’ Peugeot.

It’s just a different dress at the end of it.

2 Likes

Has she bought you a recovery truck to go with it?

We have auto aid. Plus a long warranty :rofl:

Used them today - Ann’s Fiesta wouldn’t start this morning :unamused:

It wasn’t the battery (it had a new one this last winter) and he couldn’t get it going - said it might need a new starter motor.

All very efficient tho, from the first call to the recovery to the local garage. Well worth the very reasonable annual fee :ok_hand:

Yeah no issues when my superb totally reliable Mini exploded.

Interesting combination of words :grinning:

I think you have the wrong Ed, Rudi :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks, will edit my post :slight_smile:

1 Like