Qobuz

That will probably work for me. I want to get the iplayer extra plugin which no longer works with my old LMS.

Darko article https://darko.audio/2019/06/freshly-squeezed-streaming/

1 Like

Is that only on v8? Have just installed LMS v8 on the Pi and the SBT won’t connect to it, for some reason it says the LMS version is too old.

What’s the name of the plugin?

Online Music Library Integration. Only on v8.

Just installed v8 and this time the SBT connected ok.

Plugin installed but only seems to support Tidal & Spotify :frowning:

And yet it works for my Qobuz. Which is obviously better than yours.

The Qobuz change whereby they reduced the price from £20 to £15 and included hi-res was really annoying me.

I use the Qobuz windows app, which plays to JRiver via their WDM, basically a virtual sound card. This is necessary to host the digital crossover. Unfortunately it doesn’t switch sample rates well - while it doesn’t BSOD as it used to do a few years ago (with Tidal, but the same thing), it was very glitchy and stuttery and completely unlistenable.

My solution was to limit Qobuz to 44.1k. This was fine when I wasn’t paying for hi-res, but now I am it annoys me. Even though it’s cheaper.

After speaking to @edd9000, I reckoned that I could get it all upsampled to one rate, maybe 88.2k or even 176.4k, and then run all the DSP at that rate. However, this would not be possible using the Qobuz app - I would need a player that can run a SOX upsampler.

So I dusted off the virtual Squeezebox player, Squeezelite-X. This is a cool program that basically emulates a Squeezebox player - you control it via the web interface or phone. It can upsample via SOX, so everything hitting JRiver would be the same sample rate.

Before I started configuring the SOX plug-in I tried playing Qobuz. And it all just worked. No glitches, no stuttering, no sonic artefacts at all. Play at any sample rate, JRiver would flick over and it would play perfectly.

I have no explanation for this. But I’m rather pleased.

1 Like

Strange man speak in hieroglyphics

Wot u talkin bout Lewis?

tl;dr

Thread necro time.

I’m quite seriously considering the really rather spendy “Studio Sublime”

£250 a year, so £21 a month, for HD streaming and 30%-60% of HD downloads. I actually buy quite a lot of music and prefer to buy HD.

Currently I pay the standard £120 a year for Spotify. And Daniel Ek is a cock which doesn’t help.

So, does anyone have an opinion on the Qobuz catalogue or the app for Android?

I still think Qobuz is great. I’m totally over “owning” music, so I just stream. It’s £15 per month for HD.

The app is fine as well. You can download for offline play at whatever resolution you like, which is good.

Generally, it just works, and very well at that. The catalogue is good for me, although I get the impression that your musical taste is not that close to mine, so get a trial first!

1 Like

I recently did that big migration from Tidal to Qobuz and was surprised how much the Qobuz library has improved in the last 18 months. Out of 1300 albums, I only lost about 2%.

I don’t use the apps cos Roon. The only thing I find a downgrade is their genre filters. They lump “country, folk and blues” together (WTF?) so browsing new releases is sometimes a bit arse, but generally very happy and it’s cheaper than Tidal.

1 Like

Like Mark I moved from Tidal to Qobuz and would endorse the catalogue improvement. I have the Sublime and buy a few hi res albums - they are then playable at the higher rates when streaming which is nice, but not necessary. I am finding the stream quality direct from the app to be very good, compared with via Roon, although my main set up isn’t Roon ready as such.

1 Like

Mine is a little closer. I still run Qobuz and Tidal side by side in Roon. It’s more common to find something is Tidal only than the other way around (but not unheard of) but the fundamentals are all now basically identical.

I felt break even point for Sublime+ was buying about 150-200 albums though… I couldn’t justify that tbh.

1 Like

I think I must have used significantly different Man Maths.

I came up with a figure of ~25 albums per year for it to be worthwhile.

Looking at it again (sober), yes. It’s a £100 difference so a smaller number more inline without yours Don’t forget though, the discount on purchases only applies to high res so if it’s ‘only’ in lossless (or conversely, in a resolution above 24/48 which AFAIK you can’t play), you don’t see a saving.

This being said- as a practising twat- if you had a shortfall, there’s things I’d pay you for.

1 Like

Indeed. And I deliberately buy a lot of stuff on Bandcamp. Partly to support artists more directly and partly because most new stuff on there is 24 bit anyway. :thinking:

Btw in case it matters, you can’t stream in 24/48 unless that is the max available (and it often is)

These are the options in the app:

There is no option to restrict it to 24/48 is a 24/96 is available. I don’t know what your system will do with a 24/96 stream.

1 Like

I do know that buying that shiny Hugo2 with it’s heroically pointless 24/768 sample rate handling on USB will negate this issue entirely.

1 Like