Upgrading to v8 is just an install over v7.9.x
That said, some third party plugins have a max version of 7.9, so on first run they will flag as incompatible, and on second run they will be deleted. You may wish to (1) update plugins, and then (2) amend the install.xml file to change the maxversion from 7.9 to *
I think you need this file:
A. Cancel any ongoing media scans (LMS initiates a scan automatically when launched)
B. Click on the upgrade link which will take you to the LMS updates page. Here you should click on the “Click here for further information” which moves you onward to the information page which will give you a step by step guide on what to do. The important part there is the command including the correct path in order to do the upgrade. Make a copy of that command line for later use (store it in Notepad or somewhere else).
This command typically looks something like this:
sudo dpkg -i /srv/squeezebox/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_amd64.deb
Now, what you do not see, is that LMS downloads the deb package in the background, and because these packages can be rather large, you must not interrupt, close or stop LMS while it is still downloading. There is, regretfully, no easy way to tell when it is finished downloading except peeking into the container and looking at the content in the above given path. But if you know your internet connection speed fairly well, you have a rough idea how much time it takes to download approximately 50-100Mb (?). To be on the safe side, take a half hour nap before moving on. Your upgrade will fail if the download is not complete.
Then you need to SSH inside the container to get terminal access. Here is how:
- Open the container status page for LMS in Container Station and copy the Container ID.
- Use Putty (or whatever terminal emulator you like) and log into your NAS
- Type: “docker exec -i -t bash” replacing with the ID you found.
- Once inside the container, you should see something like: root@<name_of_your_NAS>:/#
- Then type the command that you found in step B above: sudo dpkg -i /srv/squeezebox/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_amd64.deb
(replace the path and the package name with what you found)
- Be patient. It takes a while to unpack, install and setup LMS. You will get the prompt back in the end.
- log out of the container by typing exit
Note that if LMS doesn’t see the v8 as an upgrade, you’ll need to download it yourself:
sudo wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/8.0/lms/a646e60d7359876872a061aa3a25f2ec82474865/logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1583188601_arm.deb
sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1583188601_arm.deb
Inside the container malarkey in the above
Edit: my steps would basically replace step 5 in that list