Qobuz

Well, no. It can go direct to the desktop app via USB or use a different front end though.

Oh just cock off you enabling twat :laughing:

3 Likes

Youā€™ve been beautifully manoeuvred there. Give in to the inevitable.

1 Like

Anyhow, Iā€™ve signed up for the free trial.

It will be instructive to see how many times I feel the urge to buy an HD album in the next month, and how much I would have ā€œsavedā€.

Thanks chaps.

whatā€™s Qobuz like for hip hop, rap, grime, drum n bass, reggae, dance hall, drill, gangsta etc?

I would hope, NONE!!

Iā€™m signing up, always pissed me off I couldnā€™t get rammstein on tidal.

1 Like

:thinking: havenā€™t we been here before ?

Glitch in the matrix

I have no clue. Sometimes some of those genres come up on their recommendations, but I canā€™t tell you how broad their catalogue is.

it why I ditched Tidal. For broader listening it was OK, but in the end I found myself using it less and less

why?

I didnā€™t think the streaming subscriptions force fed you stuff you stuff you didnā€™t want to listen to?

Wife has found it, plundered the rock & pop playlists and started shouting ā€œwho the fuck is Steven Wilson and why is he all over this?ā€.

I told her that people who like hi-fi like Steven Wilson.

Eh up, weā€™re onto Sonic Youth now.

Cheating bastards, they list all the albums but as samples so you canā€™t hear the whole song or download them .

Thatā€™ll be down to Rammstein surely?

Well yes, apparently Spotify exclusive :face_vomiting:

But it looked like you could get it before I started the free trail. Then it was obvious after logging in that it wasnā€™t available. Meh

These are huge genres in their own right so thereā€™s no quick answer. As noted, by a few of us, across big swathes of material, the Qobuz catalogue mirrors Tidal (although with no MQA and better high res if you like that sort of thing). Being French, Qobuz has certain bits of French electronica (proceeding off into DnB and the like) that Tidal doesnā€™t but Tidal does better at Scandinavian and Northern European artists.

Ultimately, Spotify still has stuff that nobody else does as it has a simpler listing system for unsigned artists to get content on so if your oeuvre is an angry gentleman from Balham yelling in his bedroom about knife culture, thatā€™s going to be best represented there.

2 Likes

I use both Tidal and Spotify; covers 95% of what I listen to.

I donā€™t use Qobuz, as I donā€™t listen to Classical / Trad Jazz and Iā€™m not overly fussed about hi-res.

I want the quality as itā€™s my primary source, so Iā€™m anti Spotify. Just annoyed I canā€™t get everything in one app.
First world problems

It is annoying though. Iā€™m still buying CDs of albums I like because the SQ of Spotify in my system is crap (streaming through a Google Chrome Audio device, so not sure if Iā€™d get better results if I used a Lumin-esque streamer and DAC).

However Spotify has the breadth of catalogue I want, and I donā€™t want to be paying for two separate subscription services, to use the higher quality audio for those albums Tidal /Qobuz have.

Iā€™d love to be rid of my CDs, donā€™t have the space for them anymore, but canā€™t. I know I can rip them, but with about 1-2000, I just donā€™t have the time to do it.