Qobuz

Slow and steady, why not rip after you play a CD. That way your digital catalogue reflects your listening preferences.

2 Likes

indeed, and tend to flit about within them most of the time. I was pondering whether it was any better than Tidal.

Well, I have both and can side by side them in Roon to check. If you pay for a week of my time, Iā€™ll give you a full report on it. My costs are exorbitant.

3 Likes

The Chromecast Audio is pretty good tbh, and the digital out is excellent. Spotify is your limiting factor, not the hardware. Chromecast will happily deal with high res as well.

As for ripping, you just need to do it steadily. Donā€™t see it as a single job, just do 5-10 a day when youā€™re at the computer or whatever. And make sure that you do it right, once is enough!

1 Like

I quite like the desktop app experience.

I initially got a lot of silence but eventually found this

which made it go a lot faster.

Itā€™s a bit more hi-fi and a lot less ā€œlisten to our mindfulness yoga playlistā€ compared with Spotify.

2 Likes

I take that back.

Now it hoovers up half the CPU, hovers around 2 Gb of memory, then crashes.

I think it may have taken offence at me trying to play a Blue Osyter Cult album.

1 Like

Thatā€™sā€¦ not right. I mean, to put that into perspective, even Roon isnā€™t being that arsey this morning (although, itā€™s still surreal that music playback software is making use of my GPU).

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s ā€¦ uninstalled.

You donā€™t seem to have much luck with music software. Have you considered a record player?

4 Likes

MusicBee* and Spotify are very reliable.

But yeah, both Roon and Qobuz appear to suck donkey balls.

* come on, commercial outfits. This is one guy doing it in his spare time for free.

Iā€™m not defending eitherā€¦ but you do seem to be particularly destructive. Qobuz on this laptop doesnā€™t get used that often (I have to be offsite to bother and my travel itinerary is ā€˜Tescoā€™ at the moment) but it just works. ASIO performance has been shaky with a few devices but thatā€™s usually repeatable with other software too. Direct mode has largely ā€˜just worked.ā€™

1 Like

Retirement project? ā€œGyroplayerā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had that problem with the app. As an alternative you can use the DLNA player of your choice, like bubbleupnp, foobar etc

I agree. I think Iā€™ve played a total of 3 albums on Qobuz and it failed catastrophically on the third. Clearly itā€™s left some broken state somewhere, neither restarting the app nor rebooting the PC fixed it. Iā€™m sufficiently uninvested that Iā€™m not going to bother it any further.

Similarly Roon. I played a few albums. Listened to the radio maybe twice. It blew the fuck up.

Iā€™d like to think that this is coincidence rather than something systematic or me really stressing things. Other systems like the aforementioned two pieces of software on a laptop, or a large-ish Sonos network just carry on without a blip.

Just done a yearā€™s sub up front so the effective monthly is Ā£12.49.

Compared to Tidal thatā€™s quite a discount. And they give you a pro-rata discount on the month youā€™ve already paid for.

2 Likes

Have you been taking IT lessons from Adam?

Iā€™m a technophobe but never had a problem with Roon / Qobuz. A case of no knowledge is better than some ?

Iā€™ve been using Qobuz for a year now!
Happy work the quality.
I use Volumio app and Virtuoso which is a bit hit and miss.
The qobuz app works fine and I create playlists there that are picked up by Volumio.
In general it is reliable and plays what I want when I want it.

Iā€™d ditch Volumio in a heartbeat though (suggestions?).

I tried a pimped CCA with Qobuz casting, that let me use just the Qobuz appšŸ‘ and even tried a Mutec reclocker on it $$$ (did improve it quite a bit actually) which got me pretty far, but Volumio/RPI/Kali reclocker and I2S into Najda betters it.

Spotify which we also have as family sub, might tempt me away once CD quality is available and the catalogue is wide enough.
Who knows if / when that will be.
Sometime this year! Great launch precision therešŸ˜‚

Has anyone else noticed with Qobuz, theyā€™ve removed the Alternative/Indie browse filter?

The genre is still there, but no longer filterable.

Youā€™ve got metal - what more do you need?

Seriously, rather than being deliberate I bet thatā€™s an off-by-one coding error or somesuch.

1 Like