Quarter-turn or screw-down taps?

He has taste :grinning:

6 Likes

That’s great Paul. :+1:

1 Like

Pics please.

Thanks for the tiny smattering of helpful replies.

Anecdotally, some people seem to have a downer on 1/4 turn on the basis the ceramic cartridge fails easily. Well, so do screw-down - inevitably - but then those are easy and cheap to replace…

Thanks, it was cheap, is a bit quirky but suits the house.

I reckon it’s all about that. Our house is 1720’s I think, a modern bathroom here would look all wrong, to me anyway.

3 Likes

A bathroom looks wrong in a 1720s house - full stop. :wink:

In the interests of authenticity you really should have some tuberculotic skivvies

6 Likes

Still looks too modern. This is the other side of the room:

16 Likes

I fucking LOVE that bath! :heart_eyes:

We got it from a guy down in Somerset who hunted it down for us somewhere in Northern France. When he sent us the first pics of it, it was in an absolute mess. I was very uncertain but Kerri insisted and I’m glad now she did. He had to repair it in several places and seal the bottom with glass fibre and also strip it - it had been painted. :flushed: Once he’d done all that, he then treated it to get the patina we wanted. The taps were a similar journey. It took months. If you want the journey (and the eye watering cost) I can dig out his deets I expect. :blush:

Edit: it doesn’t look it but it is fantastically comfortable. The copper retains the heat amazingly and sitting in it you can get the water right up over your shoulders.

3 Likes

Waiting to work that one into a conversation :+1:

1 Like

Reclaimed floorboards for the walls and old brass taps for sink would be cool

I probably should of been an interior designer

3 Likes

Expensive. T&G quite a bit cheaper.

1 Like

Retired man offering hand towels a squirt of watered down cologne and a peppermint just out of shot on left.

8 Likes

@Mrs_Maureen_OPinion En-suite looks like this:

The taps in there are Kohler and are for outdoor pool area type stuff, ditto shower. We got them from Amazon.Com and fitted them with imperial/metric conversion kits. Cheap as chips and excellent quality, if you want the er, industrial look. Shower made from 2 mil galvanised steel sheet, bonded to plywood.

13 Likes

We did some showers out of glass, painted on the back, then stuck to the wall, looked very good

1 Like

Some good ideas here.:heart_eyes:

1 Like

We have 1/4 turn on the kitchen sink. This is a properly hard water area and the cold tap there is un-softened (better for health). I think we are on our fifth insert in 25 years. Bloody annoyingly the mixer tap handles have an unusually short splined socket, and the insert which matches these went out of production before the first replacement was required. What this means in practice is that when you screw the handle onto today’s ‘standard’ insert there is a 2mm or so gap between the handle and the tap. Ugly. And pretty soon visibly filthy. So now every time I change the insert I have to remember to hacksaw a couple of mm off the splined section of the shaft before I fit it to the tap.

We have traditional in the bathroom. I think I have only changed the tap washers there once (maybe twice) in the same period. But the kitchen taps get more use, of course.

VB

2 Likes

These are the ‘don’t fuck about’ option. We used to use them on pressurised gas lines where, in the event of the gas getting out, we might have had to declare a site emergency. Not cheap.

You can get them with electronic actuators which, these days, you can probably control via an app on your phone though.

VB

3 Likes

Don’t fuck about, do you ?

I’d imagine some thing made to such high tolerances would love really hard water.