Quarter-turn or screw-down taps?

Slowly refurbing The Ruin, and looking at Sam’s en-suite bathroom: seeking opinions on what basic tap type to go for, please, and if you so please: recommended brands, ta. Hard water area fwiw.

Yes :ok_hand:

You sure about that? Cos I was considering just putting my thumb over the open pipe?

2 Likes

We had this type fitted to our bathroom as Lou couldn’t turn the existing screw down taps hard enough due to severe arthritis in her hands. I really like them and wouldn’t go back to screw down types again.

Obviously there are many styles to choose from but the quarter turn tap gets a thumbs up from me. In your property you might want something a bit more traditional looking, like these

2 Likes

9 Likes

I have no idea why is entirely standard in this country to use separate taps rather than mixer ones.

Almost certainly historical. Also some people prefer them.

VB

we had our bathroom done recently, went for the 1/4 turn lever things, mainly because mag cannot cope very well with the twist till it breaks things very well. love them, would not go back. The ‘‘traditional’’ style ones suit the style of sink/bath etc which is a win. Our pile of rubble is probably not as old as yours, but is knocking on a bit.

1 Like

We have had quarter turns in our bathroom for over 10 years, they work flawlessly.

1 Like

Elbow taps for Corona reasons

5 Likes

What happens when your thirsty?

1 Like

You go to the pub!

3 Likes

I prefer using quarter turn, we have them in all locations now, including the outside tap. Screw down taps get over tightened and begin to leak.

2 Likes

@Wayward is your man for taps. His bathroom sink tap is inspirational.

As for brands, Bristan are decent quality.

2 Likes

Gas ball valves ftw!
It’s actually the most contrived, ridiculous solution, but its good if you want your taps to look like the sort of thing you might find out doors in a farm yard/building site. :joy:

I spent a fortune making the bathroom look like shit. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh I do.
Mine, not a patch on yours but…

5 Likes

Ace! I really like that. :+1:

1 Like

A mate of mine has taps like that, either end of a Buttler sink and the steel pedestal the sink is on has been left to rust. Looks fucking great. :grinning: