Quick one from the dork to the techies

Will a Mk4 Astra be safe there? It might be too tempting for a passing Vin Diesel type to pass up the chance of obtaining such a desirable car.

1 Like

I reckon you’ll be ok
Mind you someone broke in the flat above me and stole nail clippers and a can of febreeze.

Wrong flat buddy

It’s still loud as hell on 20x , but better
I’ll not cancel the rothwells then

Doesn’t sound any different

Are you sure the EAR is set to MM not MC. I have made that mistake in the past.

1 Like

It’s difficult to tell as the marking is just

MM

MC

It’s currently ‘out’

Super useful

img_0016

According to this I found out MM is out but if you turn the volume on your pre right down you can try in just in case they changed the design as it has been around a long time.

1 Like

Nice one mate. The 834p deluxe has no volume dial and I’ve got an integrated, so. It must be right. Bloody weird it’s so high though. The attenuators will sort it.
Just guessed based on the -12 on the cd player and went for -15 as it’s even higher.

1 Like

what you have there is the EAR834P Signature, out is MM. I use a T10 SUT into MM and the performance is massively better IMHO

this phono stage has massive gain and I have valve rolled V1 and V3 to tame this and use Rothwells on the output side, not needed before as my previous pre (Meridian 501V) had adjustable gain / drop on each individual input.

1 Like

Sell it (you’ll get decent money) and buy something that works better rather than using attenuators.

1 Like

ah the using attenuators alters the sound theory

1 Like

I bought it because it was apparently a great match for the cart. Mmh

Attenuation has never had any effect on the sound that I’ve noticed. As you’d expect

we did a phono stage bake off at Keggie on Saturday night, not scientific but most listeners were not familiar with these stages, caveat: dink may have been taken by this stage :wink:

1. EAR834P
  2. Firebottle
  3. Puresound P10
    all fed from the same SUT (T10), audience preference in that order FWIW
1 Like

I owned the p10/t10 setup before this. Great setup for the coin.

I never said anything about sound.

all very close, maybe with an expensive TT and a meag bucks cart it would be different but in a compromised room in a late night chilled atmosphere all sounded rather good

teasing :wink:

Have you tried the cart into the MM stage direct?

What else?