Quick TT question

Is this the one with the roller pin thrust bearing?

Have been getting a machinist to price up a slightly oversize platter in stainless and gunmetal and have been looking at the SMD bearing. I have a template strong back that would stabilise the motor unit top plate, I do hesitate at that stage as what you end up with is anything but a Garrard…

Ideally a Shindo beating would be welcome, I suspect making one for less than a grand would be a challenge.

I think pondering and procrastination is the way forward for me :grin:

The best thing about that is you never get to find out just how shit your ideas really were

1 Like

Nothing too special about the Shindo bearing - See EMT 930 which is what inspired his 301 bearing. The thing is the large ball bearing thrust of the Shindo presents virtually the same to the base of the spindle as the dome type of mid to late 401 thrusts Garrard new a thing or two about ball bearings they were in the base of the cheaper contemporary model the 4HF.
The issue with a high sitting platter are potentially four fold 1) Stability - note any wobble with alternate hand pressure in the 3 and 9 olcock positions on the outside of the platter 2) The idler wheel can rise and fall within it’s bushes particularly if there is a warp (Not flat) this can create platter wobble on high sitting platters outside of wow / flutter issues. 3) The idler will ride very close to the bottom of the platters running face internally think:

4) if you have to undo the bass cap of the housing to allow the spindle to drop down to sufficient playing height = potential oil leaks.

So, will it or won’t it ? :slight_smile:

There are a good number of Lenco owners who do use it without issue.

Which brings idea number two to the fore. Machine down an existing platter and press fit on a stainless or gunmetal over platter with a layer of rubber in-between on the horizontal interface. This is doable and fulfills my urges to tinker. It also changes no interface dimensions to the Garrard and would only be over height by 5mm, same on the diameter. Cheap too, which is nice.

Was surprised how that picked up passing cars 3 floors up

There’s a fella in Asia selling bearings on LH, branded SPH.

I suspect he’s got a worn platter and the bearings fit his ok. The spindles not hardened so it can be adjusted with DIY tools. Not ideal but for less than £200 it’s ok. It does sound better than original and preserves that too.

As Matt says Garrard knew what they were up to, as well as good sounding it’s stood the test of time.

If I was engineering another I’d perhaps look at oversized Linn bearing, hardened , shaped spindle with plastic* sleeves.

The issue other we’re dealing with dozens, Garrard were making thousands and had resources to test?

I find it interesting that many of the Japanese manufacturers moved towards a metal/polymer interface rather than metal to metal presumably because they decided they were quieter?

Thanks for that; I’ll give it a try then.