Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Every single one a belter

1 Like

A visit of Guy’s reel to reel tonight.
On the first couple of tapes it sounded ridiculously good,infact better than any source i’ve heard on my system

If money wasn’t an object,i could quite easily get heavily involved.

Will stick a couple of youtube clips up soon.

4 Likes
8 Likes

I know R2R look good & sound even better, but where would you get tapes with good quality recordings of music that isn’t just plinky plonky jazz from the 1950’s?

1 Like

I guess if jazz and classical are part of your main listening then it would warrant an investment.

Would love to hear some blues on one.

This
and kraftwerk

2 Likes

Yes,i reckon electronic stuff would be stunning.

1 Like

Bit dark i’m afraid.

4 Likes

Nope. Stuff like Kraftwerk is musically very simplistic - most of it is just beeps. mp3 sounds as good as SACD. Jazz and classical is where high resolution is important. Most of the audiophile favourites (Pinks, Dires, Kraftwerk) get no benefit.

Get thee to the R2R thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Damn,forgot about that thread,can mods move it over there please.

Need me a dedicated R2R table!

2 Likes

Very nice :+1: I had a R2R for a while in 84, got rid because I could never find any tapes worth the extra cost, plus there were only a few artists that were of interest that had anything released on R2R. Was fun making compilation tapes on it though.

2 Likes

Place i used to work in the early 80s did have a fair selection on sale,can’t say i can remember any of the titles though.

I only remember Beatles, Doors, Pink Floyd ( and the like)albums which I already had on LP, loads of classical which really didn’t interest me at the time and shit like what me dodgy uncle Ernie would like to play - Ray Coniff and val do knee gan sorts. Never found a copy of chairs missing or bollocks so flogged it.

3 Likes

I owned a really nice condition Revox A77 for about 3 months, about 3 years ago, but sold it on due to lack of relevant (to me, anyway) software and supreme faff factor.

Seems like making some more contemporary software would be a good business proposition.

3 Likes

It’s expensive. Vinyl discs are pressed. CDs are injection moulded then metallised. Each process takes a few seconds. Tapes, however, have to be pretty much individually recorded end-to-end. Industrial recorders can record them faster than the replay speed, but not hugely faster. So production volumes tend to be small. The industrial machines are even more pricey than the domestic ones and since they have a load of moving parts they need a good deal of maintenance. The heads also wear. I suspect that if anyone was to take this on they’d have to aim for low volume and high prices.

VB

Quite
http://tapeproject.com/catalog/

R2R coming to Lopwell, Guy?

Surely it will be the de rigeur source for Lopwell.

R2R represents the ultimate in hifi experience - it’s inconvenient, fragile, fiddly to set up, has limited software, and at any minute there is the threat of tape getting chewed up and fifty year old copies becoming worthless in an instant.

What’s not to like?:smile:

6 Likes