Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

I think Paul @hermit has bought a couple.

I’ve only heard x2. They make a good fist of the sleeves and the recordings are nice although I have heard, as is often the case, there is variation between titles. The Interesting thing with BN is that most of the recordings were done in STEREO. However with collectors it is the original Mono issue which caries the premium and to my ears sounds better. Blue note reissues seem to be regurgitated ad infinitum. The Music Matters 45RPM 200g the 180g and dozens of others seem to just churn out the cash cows…(Not the more obscure titles) I have yet to hear any repressing (Of any value) better than a truly nice condition W63rd D/G No ‘R’ pressing - It’s one thing to have the tapes (Which are old and do deteriorate) but the whole chain has to be up to the original standard (Including the vinyl composition) so far IMHO this hasn’t been nailed down.

I appreciate this is the tape thread however on a loosely related theme there is a company in France releasing viciously rare French Jazz (Often US artists recording in France) All of the recordings are coming from the original masters, full flip back sleeves - They are doing something genuinely interesting and for the cuntish of mind the returns for sitting on a title for 6-12 months is between 200 and 400% - A shit load more fun than bitcoin. (They are also doing an artisan series which is worth a punt too.)
http://www.samrecords.fr/home/

5 Likes

They look good - will they post to the UK now ?

I have a download of that John Lewis / Sacha Distel album it’s very good - it would be nice to get it on vinyl.

Yes, they are posting to the UK. JUNO and several others here in the UK are stocking the titles although most are sold out. They do 1000 runs on their shop titles and 300 only of the artisan series which are 100€

Just did a comparison between the UK Oriole (Pressed at Decca) and the Sam’s Versailles reissue

Very close, pressed at Pallas too

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip :+1:

1 Like

I’ve actually bought six of the Tone Poet series so far. I do like them but as Matt says they are variable.

For example, on the Chick Corea album there’s a 2 second partial dropout on one channel. Black Fire is infamous on Steve Hoffman’s site for some tape wow and flutter problems on side 2 which I can’t hear. The other four I have are truly excellent and I couldn’t fault them.

There’s a 57 page thread on pfm fwiw.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Yes but was it 7.5 or 15ips?

I’m sure that’s significant when it’s shit smeared :laughing:

Arrived this week - tonight’s job - archived digitally and new tape copy on LPR90 tape with Dolby SR.
When lockdown lifts, I’ll be off to Southend to see Wilko - this will make him chuckle.

6 Likes

Is it Mono?

Mono
̶S̶t̶e̶r̶e̶o̶

HTHs :grin:

1 Like

Guy, it’s a Mono version. Dr Feelgood’s Down By The Jetty was originally released in 1975 as a mono LP and cassette.

2 Likes

This just popped up on PFM
Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

New

10 TDK GX 35/180 (metal spool)
14 TDK LX 35/90 (plastic spool)
2 Maxell UD 35/180 (metal spool)
13 Maxell UD 35/90 (plastic spool)
1 RMG 35/180 (Revox plastic spool)
1 unknown brand 35-180 (Revox plastic spool)

Price for all: 700 euros plus shipping (offers welcome)
In several boxes, but might find one for all and only shipping to EU/Europe.

Bonus: Ampex 456 with SSS (metal spool) (Don’t remember if 35 or 50 micron) and one Revox takeup spool (value ~40 euros)
I have tested some of the tapes and no SSS. Most have been recorded once with radio broadcasts of classical music.)

Zombie,

I’ve joined you lot ! Got myself a R2R!

9 Likes

Hi,

Which one have you got?

Technics 1500

7 Likes

Congratulations. The hit and miss search for tapes and bankruptcy await you in the near future :rofl:

1 Like

Is that AlanTs one Mick?

[quote=]

Yes it is Rob! Alan did a post on PFM a while ago on how he refurbished a Revox B 77 .So it’s in tip top condition He really is a talented guy.Pics of some of rest of his machines have just gone on PFM also ,a couple may be for sale as well.
Anyone wanting a service doing on their R2R consider Alan ,I rate him as the Peter Swain of R2R.
Revox ,Studer and Technics being his specialties.I’m lucky that he only lives 30 mins from me ,so help if needed is nearby plus it’s a pleasure to call on him if only to hear those other machines …

6 Likes