Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Kinell he’s imported 2,500 tapes in about 3 years - just imagine how much he’s spent and how much money he’s handed over to Customs in charges :scream:

Now you know who your bidding against.

1 Like

Is there a good list anywhere showing what was sold on the format?
When I worked at the US px it was pretty limited,that was around 81/82

Ken seems to have gone feet first into quantity, whereas I would like to kid myself that I’ve gone for quality :face_with_monocle:

From his pics he has got some nice tapes but I’d imagine out of the c2500 he has amassed, I’d probably only listen to about 50 more than once and rest maybe not even that many times.

2 Likes

I imagine that with his US connections (family in Boston iirc) he’s been able to get some stuff here in hand luggage just as I have although I think my sister might have moaned at 2500 tapes!

He says he’s also got a fair few duplicates & he does sell those off at the Audio Jumble fairs when they’re on.

KK says that judging from the catalogues he’s found in the cases of the various tapes he’d estimate that perhaps there were/are 10000 titles that were put out altogether

2 Likes

Who knew this was ever a thing?

2 Likes

AKAI overkill?

3 Likes

Guy,
KK was into R2R way before 2017. When I worked with him at Canterbury Hi-Fi in the late 70s, he was talked a lot about about the Revox G36. That’s a reason for why the G36 was my first R2R. I can’t remember if he had one in his terraced house in Canterbury back then.
I suspect that his interest has been rekindled by the availability of funds and space in his current listening room.
Interesting how he is concentrating on commercial 4T tapes, rather than 15 IPS 2T masters. Given his penchant for sound quality, commercial 4T tapes do not sound as good as 15 IPS 2T masters. But I imagine it is also to do with his liking for collecting things - making sure that the box is pristine and the inserts are present.
For me, I’d rather have a 15IPS 2T with the correct scruffily handwritten label on the front from the studio engineer.

Bonkers, but wicked ! Gotta love this music game.

JPNMAN goes the extra mile

1 Like

I don’t think that KK would claim (neither would I) that commercial 4T tapes were better sounding than the 2T 15 ips masters you’ve been getting but they are relatively affordable and are often (imho) the best available way to get certain albums.

I was looking at this earlier today. I like Folk Singer, I have an old mono copy on vinyl that plays beautifully & sounds fine. I’ve no doubt a new 2T tape would be a huge improvement but $450. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yes, we all know that the cost of the best software is very often prohibitive.

I really like the R2R format but I haven’t bought a reel for nearly a year the cost is getting silly. Even with my friend in USA to handle them for me it’s out of my pocket now a days.

I remember reading an article by KK about 20 years ago where he said he had so much music collected that he would never in his lifetime listen to even 50% of it.
Seems he has the same disease with RTR tapes.
I don’t get it.

Why not? Man on spectrum, obsessed with collecting and having - this isn’t unusual in any hobby really.

Trainer collectors don’t wear them, art collectors keep stuff in a vault, stamp collectors don’t send letters, comic collectors keep them sealed…. When it comes to collecting the word practical is non grata.

1 Like

Funnily enough, many of the lathes we have bought haven’t been used by that owner.
We make quite a few small items to be used on lathes,and often wonder why they don’t make the items themselves.

He…err…umm…does drag…ummm…things…ummm…out a bit… :man_facepalming:

Indeed, he could work on his presentation!