Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Delivered by Jack today dropped off at his last tournament from my friend in the USA

16 Likes

Are any of those 7.5 IPS?

1 Like

Yep
The cat stevens is

2 Likes

Should be excellent :ok_hand:

1 Like

Shiny

4 Likes

A couple of questions for you tape guys

1. Playing the Hendrix reel and it is not playing well it is changing in pitch as it plays. (Speed wise like sluring) but played next reel and it is playing fine. What causes this? Is there anything I can do to get it playing better?
    It’s almost as if it’s wound too tight or something like that.

2. One of the tapes seems a bit muffled is this the recording or could it be how has been stored or something like that.

Btw the 71/2 IPs cat steven sounds lovely

Thanks

Maybe try winding the Hendrix tape all the way through & all the way back a couple of times. It may have been produced one the kind of tape whose coating goes sticky.

Re Muffled, could be storage, could possibly be at the wrong Eq. NAB as opposed to IEC?

I have one reel that came from a studio that I’ve yet to hear properly as i haven’t the means to switch to NAB eq

3 Likes

Thanks Guy :+1:

What Guy said re the Hendrix tape, cycle it back and forth a few times.

Muffled one - assuming it’s a commercial tape on the right EQ then it’s probably buggered.

1 Like

Check its not degrading/going sticky, it could be dragging over the heads.

Edit: Doh, as Guy said. Just clean the heads after as they can get covered in gunk.

1 Like

Fwd and rew a few times and it is playing fine now. I’ll clean heads after playing it. Just in case it was sticky.

3 Likes

Finally got a copy of this heading this way -

16 Likes

Nice track listing.

1 Like

Oh yeah :ok_hand:

Need to find a reasonable copy of the live in concert tape now which is also 7.5 ips…

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Blattnerphone steel tape recorder, an early magnetic recording technology, developed by Dr. Kurt Stille and Louis Blattner in 1924, at BBC studios, used to record programs for rebroadcast in Empire countries. The recording tape was 3mm wide and 0.08 mm thick, and traveled at 1.5 meters / second. It was limited to voice programs as it did not have the fidelity to record music.

4 Likes

I could ride that and not fall off

Landed this morning-

9 Likes

7.5 IPS?

Yes it is :grin: