Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Does it come with a free Spock?

Bought a copy of this today - seriously fingers crossed it actually plays…

3 Likes

I have the mono 3 3/4 version on a 5" reel which does sound pretty good. What speed is that?

3.75 ips. I figure if it plays okay it should sound a lot better than vinyl pressings of dubious condition for a lot more money.

1 Like

Shame it’s such a shit album .

5 Likes

Hmm, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, within you without you, a day in the life, yeah if they’re shit then everyone else might as well give up :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(I’ll give you that when I’m 64 is pap).

2 Likes

Picked this up very cheaply this week, been in storage for a long time. Owner didn’t even know if it would power up.
I put a plug on it and it works, the tape on it is opera and it played lovely.
It does 1,7/8. 3,3/4. 7,1/2 speeds.
I figure it could do with a service to make sure everything works properly and since it plays I reckon it’s worth a service.
Any thoughts on it as a R2R, and who is best for servicing?
Cheers

7 Likes

Nice. Hmm, depends how much needs actually doing and how much you’re prepared to spend?

Stephen at Vintagetech did both of mine - not cheapest but very good, although the cost racked up on my Sony because it needed a fuck ton of work - if yours plays then it might just need aligning and basic servicing?

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/q7nqBUb.gif

5 Likes

Stronzosan has really got to grips with R2R

1 Like

So how’s the faffery?

waiting for some reels of tape to be delivered and thinking about getting it serviced.
it looks very pretty on the side board :grinning:

2 Likes

What tapes you got Tim?

Only the one on it, which has opera on it.
Bought a few to record on from ebay to try it out at recording and to see what might be on them.
Not started to try and source pre-recorded ones yet, not even sure where to start trying to find them for a reasonable cost.
I think I need to get it working 100% before buying any pre-recorded stuff :thinking:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes:

Have you cleaned the tape path as well as you can?

So many threads this could have been posted in.

1 Like

That looks like the perfect confluence of napping and faff.

I’ll leave others to do the inevitable portmanteau.

3 Likes

The Dual alternative

4 Likes