Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Yep, so can I. Will watch with interest.

1 Like

These came this morning. 2 versions of the same stereo (1959) 7.5 ips Jazz Sampler. Both on Ampex but for some reason, given different catalogue numbers. Sound quality ought to be very good.

Some info here.

2 Likes

Yep that should sound very nice :+1:

One may be surplus to requirements.

1 Like

One may be swapped for a Donovan tape :wink:

1 Like

For the new romantic tape faffer -

1 Like

I’m interested!

Nice deck

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-stereo-audio/vintage-akai-gx625-reel-to-reel-tape-deck-in-full-working-order/1319708797

3 Likes

Wow, that Duran Duran tape finished at £140 :scream:

Hel said she would have liked to hear it but pffft the vinyl would be about £3!

I think Matt has a non functioning but clean looking sample that needs to pay a visit to Guildford

This one should be decent at 7.5 ips

Among a few other classical bits on UK ebay yesterday, I also picked this up.

No carton for this but on LP this is one of the most sublime pieces of music I own. Michelangeli playing the Ravel Piano Concerto. Very lucky to find it on tape.

Not the greatest youtube clip but you get the idea.

5 Likes

The 2 track 15 ips version of the Sony I have (TC-765)

Nice machine. It does also play 4 track but sadly not 3 3/4 ips aswell. It’s still the case that that’s what most of the tapes are.

The listing says it plays 4 track but I’m not sure -

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TC-766-2.html

It mentions 4 track capability on the cover of the service manual. It also does appear to have a fair number of heads!

1 Like

I fancy a Pioneer 707 some point, although the one guy brought to Yorkshire was rather nice too.

Thread is going nowhere unless it crescendo’s as a physical shop in the Pompey center.

I’ve got a 707 and would recommend them. They’re cheaper and more reliable than 909 which are overrated largely based on their looks rather than actual sound - a deck is only as good as it is aligned.

Ease of use is superb, not just the autoreverse but the overall button layout, and pitch adjustment is a great feature to have too.

We used both my decks at Lopwell and some preferred the 707, others the Sony. My sense is that the 707 is a much easier deck to use day to day, but to my ears the Sony has better playback sound quality.

1 Like

As close as you’re gonna get.

The Portsmouth Music Experience’s sixteen track digital media and 8 track analogue reel to reel recording studio