Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Don’t know. I don’t really need the capability to record in both directions & I’ve actually started only playing the tapes forwards (not using the Auto Reverse) because the reverse playback doesn’t seem as well aligned.

Not sure what benefits the dual capstan drive in the X7R & X10R actually brings.Maybe it does improve playback in reverse.I havent’t looked to see whether both engage in both directions.

Sadly that is my only experience too, my best friends Dad had one in his XJ6. I remember it sticking out of the dash so far he had to put the auto box in 2nd gear to get the tape in.

2 Likes

I’d just like a 4 track 3.25/7 machine to complement the 2 track machine, a small 7" reel one like the X-3R or Pioneer 707. The X-3R seems affordable too.

The X3R is the one I have. One shortcoming is that it can’t really make full sense of 2T mono tapes as you can’t readily configure which part of the playback head does what.

This feature (Stu’s machine has it) is useful.

Those larger reels at ETF were tempting but then I’d also have needed something with a 2T playback head.

I wanted them :sob:

My 32-2B is Dual capstan, its only one direction, It looks an awful lot like the X-10R.

I was asking Frank Schroeder at ETF why he thought R2R had only originally really become mainstream in Germany & the US. Quite a simple answer. it was invented in Germany so readily accepted there & then post WW2 US engineers had taken Magnetophon machines back across & it’s potential was realised there too. Of course recording companies all over the world were using the technology from the mid 50’s onwards but for domestic use with pre-recorded material only seriously in Germany & US. (and maybe Japan, I’m not sure) Certainly plenty of manufacturers began producing domestic machines in Japan.

2 Likes

One of you desperately needs my Sony TC 765, as I have a deep longing to buy another deck :innocent:

They seem nice, but go for £300+ un serviced , so ask me again in about 6 months :rofl:

You won’t sell that, it sounds too much too lovely.

How much? :thinking:

3 Likes

Some German tape pron

1 Like

Nice, but,

Eeewww, slider switches :flushed:

I could learn to live with them :grin:

Only if you enjoy Rice Krispies :wink:

1 Like

I just like the pretty pictures.

Actually that’s not a bad idea - get a life-sized print of one and sit it beside the hi-fi and save me from a lifetime of faff, expense and hiss :grinning:

2 Likes

The Meatman’s conundrum…
The desire for a peaceful, slothful existence whilst peppering one’s own path with faff hurdles.

Perhaps Freud was right about Eros and Thanatos. Noisy peace is the point.

3 Likes

You cannot go wrong with a deck serviced by Steve Bennett.

Anyone here get it?

I have been buying more empty reels. I want shiny NAB hubs with trumpets. They are like TT hats but for R2R

4 Likes

I read this thread and larf :smile:

4 Likes

Not just any old gold, but Glory Gold!!