Region-specific Editions - Y tho?

y tho

So you’re a musician, you’ve got a contract, you’ve written enough material for an album, artwork’s done, time to get it packaged and flogged.

Suddenly! -

###KRRRUNNNCHC-KLANNGG-TINKLE!!!###

Something clockwork breaks inside your head and you decide that different parts of the World are going to get a different tracklisting! Maybe one or two songs will be done differently - longer/shorter, maybe a different title for shits’n’giggles, and you’ll add-on or omit a few songs - Japan can get that one about that caravan holiday you had in Canvey Island in 1978, America gets one about drug-related urban warfare in the mean streets Stratford-Upon-Avon, Britain doesn’t get either of those, and gets 45 seconds knocked off the title track because: fuck you is why. Norway get pink and green splatter vinyl, everyone else pus-yellow, except the UK who gets black or clear, and clear is already sold-out even though this is the first day it’s on sale…

Fucking WHY DO THEY DO THIS?!?!

FULL OF FUCK

I’m tired, and I have a cold, so the Sodbury Brane Sell is working like a tradie on an hourly rate - I just don’t get it. If you like an artist, like their music, why the fuck not just give everyone the same thing - ideally everything that’s actually worth having: no omissions, and no fucking filler (fuck-off with your demos that sound like they were recorded inside a cardboard carton and your ‘hilarious’ sound-desk outtakes “Uhhh, like Mike, ummm, am I like mic’d-up yet maaaaaaan…? Fuuuuck…” Get back in the sea…

I’m prompted by an act I like, who have sold, in total, less than four-figures worth of albums, who nonetheless now have a new single release abstracted from the Japan-only version of their CD, which single is available as a download in the UK, and on a one-sided bit of vinyl in - you guessed it - Japan… WTF?

1 Like

Because it’s zero effort to make a few different things and then your fan(s) might buy more than one of them ?

I was astonished to discover recently that there is more than one kind of fabric and plastic lace-up sports-style shoe. No, I can’t imagine why either.

3 Likes

What fresh madness is this?! :open_mouth:

1 Like

1 Like

If you’re like me (and I know you are) then I’m sure you’d like the rare Direct Cut Polynesian nose flute version with English subtitles, but can you get it here in the UK? Can you fuck.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ve got two copies; one sealed and the other for playing… :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered this (although never been bothered enough to search for the answer, but presumed it was down to some weird licensing issue). It is annoying though.

1 Like

Angry Rob Lowe GIF by britbox

2 Likes

Always assumed it was down to the record companies. Japanese albums almost always contain bonus tracks/alternate tracks to encourage Japanese consumers to buy the (very expensive) homegrown release rather than ordering cheaper imports.

1 Like

And that. Most “bonus” tracks really are just shovelware junk

1 Like

I have multiple versions of certain albums because the Marketeers decide that certain markets deserve a remix of one of the tracks, or the sequence needs changing. Or in one case, an inferior, crackly pressing was the only available version in Straya.
Fuck you faceless interferer! I’ll have the version that the band decided on thanks :rage:

1 Like

You and me. We’re the same.

Harsh.

2 Likes

I do my worst.

Or wurst.

2 Likes

You could just buy the uk copy and, like, not worry about it :sunglasses:

For around thirty years I thought I had a little known promo of humble pie live, actually bothered to read the label the other day and it’s sides 3/4 of the live at the Fillmore double lp sans the cover and the other disc! Who knew

head_asplode

1 Like