Resin-bonded gravel paving

Anyone here have any experience with this stuff?

We have a number of gravel paths around the place that grow weeds faster than I can keep them properly cleared, plus we have huge numbers of deciduous shrubs and trees, so simply keeping gravel in place and looking tidy is a Forth Bridge of a job.

I like the look of RBG paths and drives, more so when the gloss goes off it, but I’m guessing there are going to be issues…

I’m interested in this as well. My issue is it will look too shiny and new and not in keeping with an older property. Is it possible to get one that looks aged ?

I would love to stop the problem of leaves composting and the drive having muddy patches in wet winter weather. We collect the leaves as quickly as possible.

About all I do know at this point is that the gloss goes off it with use.

We’ve got a not dissimilar set of issues here with the drive in particular. Last few days have seen it rain like cows piss, and there is a crazy amount of surface water considering the land slopes away from the house.

Good point - definitely don’t want anything that attracts golphophiles :+1:

1 Like

Don’t you need to prepare the surface well - you can’t just bung it down on dirt like your gravel paths probably are. Does it not need a hard surface first?

Yes, that would be a part of the plan.

I’d never even heard of this stuff but it looks very good, found a site that has some case studies with an old hospital converted to apartments

1 Like

One thing I have just read is that it’s unsuitable for driveways where cars have to be turned tightly, as the power steering chews the contact-patches up, rather as it does on warm tarmac.

2 Likes

I saw some bonded paths at RHS at Rosemont - Looked really nice

We have resin bound (slightly different from resin bonded) at the front and back of our house. It was done a couple of years ago.

It’s decent. Water goes straight through it.

It looks very nice imo. Passers by ask who did it and the cost etc. In fact someone asked me last week as his wife wants it.

Loads of cowboys around so tread carefully. It’s not cheap. It can fade in sunlight.

The alternative for us was real stone slabs, they have to be sealed and change colour etc. Happy with our choice. I’ll try and find some pictures of before and after.

3 Likes

Yup, that can be a problem.

Getting the right tradesmen to do it is key.

My Mother had this in Cape Town, eventually it started to break up, better than loose gravel though, high foot fall / cars turning etc will eventually wear it down.

As usual, it’s all down to the prep. If they get the substrate right and it’s properly compacted, the resin topping should withstand most abuse and last for many years.

3 Likes

can you come and do my drive in exchange for some chicken lollipops

2 Likes

I’m not on the tools anymore…

…well, maybe just one :joy:

4 Likes
2 Likes