RSD 24

Just two for me please.
I won’t be queuing, there will either be copies left when the dust settles or not

1 Like

I’ve struggled with RSD over the years but this years list is actually upsetting. It’s either gimmick laden, already re-issued to death, startlingly dull, 99% digitally buggered or just OK.
This opinion stands for nothing I appreciate but for people getting into records disappointments door is wide open here and that’s what I find upsetting - Vinyl gets one day to blow it’s trumpet - this year it sounds like a shart.

2 Likes

Whereas I thought it was the best list in a fair old while. 4 or 5 I wouldn’t mind :man_shrugging:

Lots of digital reissues I’ll bet. Might as well buy the CD or stream :man_shrugging:t3:

I wonder how many times Vini Reilly by Durutti Column has been reissued…

Nothing on that list to interest me.

For miles, GZ pressings for days. Coloured / splattered sucker bait.

I’m going with 10+

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=Vini+Reilly+by+Durutti+Column&type=all&format_exact=Vinyl

Actually, I’ve spotted an LP by The Orb that I might really need…

Rhetorical question was rhetorical…

1 Like

I’d be interested in the 180 gram, virgin vinyl, half speed direct from master tape Goldie Lookin Chain. :+1:

3 Likes

I didn’t know you were releasing new material Steve?

You knows it, clart!

2 Likes

An interesting antidote to RSD but still too much focus on the monetary value of records rather than the enjoyment of listening to them.

I agree with the sentiment of this piece, I guess it has to be written in an accessible way. It’s true shops overlook / mis price / don’t know everything (No one does). But with discogs and Popsike that’s often just lazy. Trends are things shops can miss if a record blows up on Japan and it’s been priced and put out in a shop in the UK 6 months ago, wins can be had if financial gain is your thing (Market fluctuation).

Brighton is fairly well locked down, I doubt much is missed. Charity sorting warehouses (Particularly people who volunteer) are locked down, house clearance businesses, Car Boots, recycling centers, auction houses, even letting agents & Local councils, probate solicitors are often locked down by local dealers who flip straight to discogs. If it’s good music, which was the thrust of the piece, yes there’s loads of great music that can be had for very little. Particularly high selling popular music (More supply than demand)

What has been very interesting in the vinyl resurgence is the value of 80’s music - People re buy their youth. I hope more people go to local shops and support charities - Anything is better than 90% of the gimmick laden digital RSD hype turds.

I like to tell myself it’s the music, and it’s not a collection if there’s no organising principle. Always worth remembering that if it’s described as a special collector’s edition; it isn’t. Plenty of memories of a well spent youth, mind.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format_desc=Record+Store+Day&ships_from=United+Kingdom&year=2024&q=RSDUK&page=7

A link to the Uk dealers who have stuff left at proper prices

2 Likes