Ruby Murray

Butter chicken tonight - cooked bone-in chicken thighs with marinade using the sous vide, 5 hours at 74oC, chilled in an ice bath then blasted under the grill before heating in the sauce (+ juices from the bag) - first time trying chicken thighs using the sous vide and they were phenomenal.

3 Likes

I’m going to ask my wife to make that :heart_eyes:

This is my current favourite thing for curries.

1 Like

Had an attempt at Bhatura. Has sort of fallen flat…

3 Likes

Did you use yeast? I’ve seen recipes without it, but I’ve always used yeast and had no issues

Bicarb as MrsKettle can’t have yeast.

I also probably made them a bit then when rolling out.

Lamb (shoulder) rogan josh, cooked for 24 hours at 65ºC using the sous vide stick (transferred to silicon bag after curry was assembled).

Similar to this - no onion/ garlic, mix of mustard oil and ghee. Lamb browned well in cast iron pan, deglazed with water and used that as the extra liquid.

Not many ingredients, but very nicely balanced.

4 Likes

I’m a huge fan of the misty ricardo book available through Amazon and I’ve been doing the whole “BIR” thing for years now.

Chicken tikka Jalfrezi remains a firm favourite.

It’s just always a heartbreaker when I run out of all the pre prepared stuff all at the same time. That rare moment when there’s no naan dough, no mix powder, no base gravy and no G&G paste

I made a lamb biryani, first cooking the lamb part using this method. I did it out of curiosity, being pretty sure it was going to be close to pointless, but it wasn’t. It was fucking amazing.

1 Like

Made a new batch of roasted Sri-Lankan curry powder.

Put some of it to use, this afternoon.

10 Likes

Turned out really good*

*providing you like a spicy - hot - curry!

9 Likes

Assume the second pic is of your ringpiece in the morning?

3 Likes

What spice mix you using Paul? I fancy giving it a try :ok_hand:

This one

8 tbsp coriander seeds
6 tbsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp black peppercorns
4 tbsp basmati rice
2 tbsp black mustard seeds
6 tsp whole cloves, large about 15 cloves
4 tsp scant, cardamom seeds from green cardamom seeds from the pods
2 tsp fennel seeds

1. Place the rice on a dry non stick pan. Heat over medium heat until the rice starts to turn light brown.
  2. Add the rest of the spices and pan roast for a further 3 - 5 minutes until the spices start to brown, toast and become aromatic.
  3. Keep moving the pan to prevent the spices from burning. Also adjust the cook times according to your stove and pan, to avoid burning the spices. Or your curry powder will be bitter.
  4. Remove from the heat and let the spices cool down.
  5. Once the spices cool down - use a spice grinder (or a mortar and pestle) to grind the spice mix into a powder in batches and mix well. Store in an air tight container.

You can also do it unroasted which lends itself to fish curries.

6 Likes

Nice, ta. :ok_hand: I need to use more fennel in curries, I’ve been neglecting it a bit.

I’d probably gently fry it off in a drop of oil - many of the aromatics are oil soluble.

The Sri-Lankan curries I make use coconut oil (and coconut milk)

1 Like

Definitely part of the attraction for me wanting to try this recipe.

The Sri-Lankan chicken is definitely worth a punt, it’s my favourite curry at the moment

1 Like

Recipe tweaked (again!) and this is the best batch yet, bloody delicious

Plenty hot with two naga ghost and a scotch bonnet in it

11 Likes

Chicken Balti underway, gonna be a spicy one

:fire: :fire: :fire:

6 Likes