Ruby Murray

A thread for curries and favourite restaurants, recipes etc.

Inspired by @anon14766838 and @NAM and with a need for curry since lock down started, I’ve been cooking a lot of them recently. There is a lot to learn but I am genuinely surprised at how good you can make them at home.

I’ve had this simmering for a few hours now, Dal Makhani:

I can’t remember ever eating it knowingly, so today is a real adventure! I’ve made some paneer too…

7 Likes

I give it a month before construction of full tandoor

12 Likes

I think an Ooni Pizza Oven might do a good job. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s amazing for naans.

1 Like

I bet. I’ve been itching to get one but can’t quite bring myself to spend in these uncertain times.

Can’t believe you are contemplating a compromise. It’s all or nothing :smiley:

1 Like

I’m learning… :persevere:

1 Like

Like splitting the meal in to two dishes and adding full chillies to just one :thinking:

1 Like

Well yes! It’s more work but that is exactly what I’m doing. One as the recipe :hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper: one with half the chilli :hot_pepper::hot_pepper: :grin:

2 Likes

Is there a link to that recipe?

Shall trade for suit.

1 Like

The dal Makhani?

Settled on this one after loads of deliberation!

6 Likes

As the old saying goes “you can be right or you can be happy” :smiley:

1 Like

Not tried it yet, but its coming, most other flatbreads have turned out great mind

1 Like

I did the burning charcoal/Ghee thing but it was a bit difficult to catch the smoke with a pic and lift the lid at the same time:

It does work, the result was delicately smokey.

Anyway, mattar paneer, dal Makhani:

20 Likes

I would have thought that the last thing you need in your life Ritchie, is yet more faff, but all power to you, that looks awesome !

1 Like

Curries have very satisfying faff. :+1::grin:

3 Likes

That dal looks amazing. I have black lentils waiting… going to make this next week.

1 Like

Worth the effort. One of the best things about this food is once you have made a bit of investment in spices, it’s very cheap. The bag of Urad beans I got to do it was about a fiver and there must be enough for about twenty curries!

2 Likes

Been having the Dahl makhani at the Turan in recent days past (before lockdown). Definitely one of my favourites.

1 Like