Scone wars

• Team Devon
  • Team Cornwall

0 voters

Was never really bothered before but for science I have now done ‘extensive testing’ and it’s Team Devon for me. Much easier to spread cream on the unsullied scone surface then put the jam on, and dare I say it, better mouthfeel.

4 Likes

Mouthfeel. I like that word.

Smear cream on then a dollop of jam for me.

Team Cornwall (despite having lived in Devon for a decade). Your scone should still be warm from being baked at the point of consumption. If you put the cream on first, the heat starts to melt it. If you put the jam on first, it acts as an insulator to stop the cream from melting.

1 Like

In the microseconds between smear and gobble that does not matter.

1 Like

Jam then cream, anything else is weird

1 Like

Butter (salted obvs) first, then jam, then clotted cream.

9 Likes

The Devon way is the only way, anything else has much RONG about it.

1 Like

It’s a short churn from cream to butter. Cream first, do you jam then butter bread?

The correct way to eat a scone is in halves i.e open top - The Fucking weird Cornish way is about eating the scone as a whole (Closed sandwich) - This is not possible if you have a decent sized scone and have understood the point is to balance as much cream and jam as is humanly possible.

The Queen apparently eats them as a closed sandwich with jam first, dainty it may be but hardly indulgent - Therefor missing the entire point.

P.S The first cream tea was served in Tavistock Abbey - DEVON 997AD.

The Devon method of Cream first supersedes her Maj as a stamp of approval in my book because.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/news_features/2004/tavistock_cream_tea.shtml

Also a gentleman cannot align with this sort of nincompoop.

Made up names:

It took a lot of hard work to restore the Abbey, and the task was undertaken by Ordulf, Earl of Devon. His father Ordgar, Earl of Devon, had been responsible for establishing the Abbey in the first place.

If you put jam first then you can’t get as much cream on, as it tends to slip off. And nobody needs that.

1 Like

anyone hybridized the toppings?

butter
marmite
laughing cow
peanut butter
jam
whipped cream
popping candy

https://afternoontea.co.uk/blog/the-afternoonteacouk-team/the-nation’s-biggest-debate-settled-–-jam-or-cream-first-on-scones-(1)/

save your trolling for pfm, your powers of food deviancy don’t work here.

1 Like

^ This, dear folk, is how you get a ban.

No one should have to put up with this level of deviantry.

3 Likes

Jam first, then the bacon, topped with chilli sauce :+1:

3 Likes

Anyone tried vegan cream?

3 Likes

File next to: ‘spoiled masturbation’.

3 Likes
1 Like