Security cameras

No cloud is a deal break for me.

Update:

Battery powered wifi cameras are junk, utter junk.

Now looking at POE, most likely HiLook/Hikvision

Please tell me you havenā€™t discovered this the hard way

Tried a few but used Amazon so easy returns.
Currently using a Ring wifi camera which is junk. Tried a Reolink POE, also junk so returned.
Unsure what to get now, will probably be Hikvision but im in no rush.

Spent money on physical security instead.

1 Like

At least you didnā€™t discover this due to the replacement bike having been stolen, which is what I initially feared

1 Like

Thankfully not!

Out of interest what problems are you having with the Ring camera? I have one and it works fine for me. Pretty sure my neighbours are happy with theirs too.

Random detection and shit low light image quality.

Seems a common problem. Been collecting footage from ring devices today, non provided an image usable for identification.

Just to be clear weā€™re talking about their security camera, not doorbell right?

I.e. this: Floodlight Cam Wired Pro ā€“ Ring

If so, interesting, donā€™t think Iā€™ve had random detection although there isnā€™t much nearby in the way of things like foliage that might blow in the wind and trigger it.

As for low light quality, it seems ok although I havenā€™t tested it on a face to see how identifiable it is.

Posh houses Iā€™ve seen have proper IR lights next to their cameras, which are quite large units. I presume you need something like that for really good low light/nighttime viewing.

Doorbell and cameras, doorbell is very poor. Cameras not much better tbh.
Thankfully I purchased in a sale.

I have the same ground anchor and similar chain (x2). Fuckers pulled a saw off the tool rack in my garage and cut a section from my titanium bicycle frame to steal the bike for parts.

Thereā€™s a longer version of this story involving A&S, SYorks and eBay.

The pragmatic kit seems pretty good. 5+ minutes with a mains powered grinder.
I like the through frame pin, very effective on a motorbike. Have same on my 1290.
The mtb is kept in the house.

Iā€™ve seen a few where frames have been cut. Most determined Iā€™ve seen recently, hole drilled in garage door so an inspection cam could be used to check the items were in there before drilling house door lock to retrieve garage keys.

1 Like

Weā€™ve had a HiLook system in with two cameras, front and back for the past 2/3 years. Deterrent more than anything. Image quality is excellent, night and day. Can access the live images from anywhere via their app.
Only time itā€™s been required for a security incident was a few weeks back. A neighbour a few doors down had a break in (no alarm) and I scanned through the footage. Picked up all the comings and goings, quiet lane suddenly lit up by neighbours teenage kids having a party - unrelated to the break in. Going through was laborious on ffwd but it can be set to just pick up movement which is easier to search. Stores a month or soā€™s footage. Newer systems may have improved the search function.