Sennen Cove

In Sennen for a few days, any suggestions for places to visit?

10 Likes

Minack theatre and Porthcurno are only minutes away.

2 Likes

If the sun appears, Nanzijal beach.

Penberth cove and Botallack mines (both Poldark locations)

The coast road North towards St Ives is great particularly if you can do it close to sunset on a clear day.

Geevor tin mine if open.

Weird ancient nonsense such as Lanyon quoit and Men an Tol.

The Logan Rock pub at Treen.

St Buryan if you were a fan of the film Straw Dogs!

There is a nice walk West along the coast path from Porthcurno which takes you past a couple of nice beaches to the small hamlet at Porthgwarra.

3 Likes

Lovely job, should keep us busy.

St Ives to St Erth is a great little train journey. Probably best to do it from St Erth to St Ives, spend a couple of hours there, then return trip.

1 Like

The Levant mine & Beam engine (NT) is an alternative to Geevor and is interesting if just to learn about the depth & extent of the mining, the conditions & the eventual closure when the ‘man engine’ collapsed.

@stu & @murrayjohnson
Just recommended a train journey and mine visit to Mrs and daughter, not impressed, might go by myself.

1 Like

Perhaps if you asked nicely, @stu might open his garden to the public. You might even get savaged by Patch if you tread on the hallowed astro turf. Hard to beat a day out like that.

1 Like

Does it have palm trees?

Also, a visit would cause serious carnage!

Don’t let their cute demeanour fool you, they are bastards! :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s about a 15 to 20 min journey with beautiful views of the coast.
If they go and don’t like it, tell them it was recommended by @murrayjohnson

2 Likes

Indeed, and I charge less than the gardens of heligan… Make sure you lock the gate on the way out, and shove used fivers through the letter box :+1:

7 Likes

I dread to think what happens in the shed that it needs curtains.

3 Likes

The leaves are ‘rustic fake’ he uses them to ‘dress’ the grounds before putting them to bed by 9pm every night (Hence curtains). He has names for each leaf. Gareth is his favorite.

7 Likes

There’s quite a bit of cultural stuff to see & visit in St Ives. Apart from the Tate art gallery, there’s the Barbara Hepworth museum & Sculpture garden as well as many nice shops/galleries in the town.

St Just, on the way up there is worth a look around too.

Penzance also has a fair bit to see & St Michael’s Mount just offshore there.

Hepworth Museum is so worth a visit. Outside of Kiki Dee’s pert buns, I can think of few objects more tactile.

1 Like

Mrs & FOL are doing the Hepworth museum tomorrow, I think I’ll pop to the mine instead.

1 Like

See if they’ll have the Levant beam engine running. Quite a thing.

I’ll call them in the morning and see, i am leaving Wednesday so only got the next 2 days, hopefully it will be going as it’s half term.

If not will still be interesting.

It is. The scale & depth of the workings there are extraordinary albeit largely inaccessible now. But the process of getting miners down & up again is worth learning about.

1 Like

Found it, posted this a while ago.

2 Likes