Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

I was looking for a cheap integrated, with a built in phono stage, as a stand in for when I send my Suggie for service.

I’m pleased with this; it makes some nice noises, didn’t cost very much and is a little bit different to the norm.

11 Likes

I like Alchemist stuff, especially the Kraken APD6.

I liked the Kraken too Rob. This has the house sound 'ish, just with less of everything :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been looking at a bit more upmarket DACs for a bit. After really getting in to the Mojo I seriously thought about the Qutest but really didn’t want to go north of £1k, so the RME and Denefrips Ares II were the ones I had been looking at the longest but something about the Ares was putting me off so I went back to the one I was looking at first and with Lake People amp and DT1990 Pro phones I seem to have gone all very German pro audio.

I have been on the fence for this for ages now and keep trying to save, however over Xmas a few things happened, as they do in my job. Over Xmas I saw one of my regulars who had spent a couple of days with his family. We had a lovely chat and we planned our next call and what we would we do in it, he’s very fussy and will only do certain things with me so he always wanted to know if I was in the next day. The following morning half an hour before I was due to go in to him I had a phone call from the office saying he had passed during the night.

The moral of the tale, don’t worry about today because tomorrow may never come. So sod it I bought it.

25 Likes

Enjoy - it certainly looks cool. And FWIW, couldn’t agree more with your sentiments: Live in the moment - all else is theoretical…

4 Likes

Google Pixel bluetooth earbuds.

Theoretically £100, but free with a phone (that hasn’t actually turned up yet).

Conclusion after sticking one in for five seconds: do NOT like that AT ALL.

Oh well, at least I didn’t pay anything for them. I can probably find an unsuspecting wife, niece or SiL to palm them off onto.

We got my daughter the Beats ones which seem pretty good

I’ve no idea what they sound like; I didn’t get as far as pairing them with a phone.

I just don’t like the sensation of something in my ear :slightly_frowning_face:

Kind of rules out in ear headphones then :joy:

Yup. You don’t know until you try.

Applies to the insertion of so many different things in so many different orifices to be fair.

5 Likes

Looks a nice bit of kit Simon - let me know how it gets on with the 1990’s.

I’m actually using the Lake People amp still at the moment so going ADI-2 → G109-S → DT1990, and it sounds utterly sublime and effortless. I haven’t even started playing with the multitude of options you can do with the ADI-2.

3 Likes

It’s not something I particularly need as my Cayin amp runs them superbly but there’s still an itch there :grinning:

I still can’t get away with just how good the 1990’s - their low volume performance is exceptional.

All my headphones just love the G109-S amp and it really showed the differences in DACs so that’s why I bit the bullet on it.

The DT1990 are just amazing, not sure they are better than my other phones, I really like all of them but there’s something about the DT1990 - an honesty that just lets the music flow naturally that just makes me want to keep listening to them. Pretty sure these would show any changes you make in your system, good or bad. My advice would be leave alone if you’re happy.

Techie back fresh from repair and tune up :slightly_smiling_face:

30 Likes

New cart on the Fidelity Research FR24 now do I leave it there or shove it on the Moerch UP4 which currently has an AT760SLC mm

5 Likes

Straight on moerch I’d say, but then again don’t listen to a fanboi

Good you’re a fanboi :+1:
I’ll be picking your brains re the Moerch

1 Like

I need to fettle my UP4. I played the HiFi test record on it before Christmas and my channel separation is off. Any tips gratefully received.