Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Sounds like your on a mission.

DIY (not built by me) SE 2a3 based on the Sun Audio design.

Unfortunately stupid fucking courier managed to smash the wood frame to bits and the transformers inertia had bent the top plate out of shape.

On the plus side it sounds much much better than a Ā£500 amp should.

Think this is going to be worth the effort to transfer to a new chassis and top plate (or sell in 2 weeks)

5 Likes

PS iron is from an Italian company Iā€™d never heard of called Raoli.

Who are we kidding here?

Playing with a new plinth

26 Likes

Makes quite an adequate sound.

20 Likes

Better/different to the Technics?

1 Like

Not too sure yet. I suspect that the tension arms need adjustment and a general grease check/ tape path clean etc.

It is 2T record and 2&4T play like the Techincs, except only two speeds (7.5 and 15 ips). Not as easy to load tape as the Technics (but what is), but the general operation is good. Iā€™ll get a better feel for playback quality vs the Technics once both have been properly serviced and set up.

First impressions 4T@7.5ips are pretty good so far.

My plan then is to use both decks to make copies of some of my more expensive tapes for everyday playback etc.

2 Likes

MORE FAFF = win.

1 Like

R2R owners really need to go the whole hog and get a mixer and some microphones to record local bands. That way you will get very clean recordings and some not so clean and have a lot of fun. Playing pre recorded tapes is a bit lame in my view. I got rid of my Revox because I didnā€™t have the inclination to go out recording stuff.

Not lame if the result is better than what you can get from the vinyl or digital version of same.

That said, field recording is fun.

I did a bit with SiLā€™s socially distanced choir a few months back.

6 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

New headphone amp day. DPD here nice and early. Wonā€™t get much of a chance for a proper listen until tonight.

10 Likes

Adding to my cartridge collection :grinning: God knows when I will actually be able to listen to it though.

20 Likes

I was looking for a cheap integrated, with a built in phono stage, as a stand in for when I send my Suggie for service.

Iā€™m pleased with this; it makes some nice noises, didnā€™t cost very much and is a little bit different to the norm.

11 Likes

I like Alchemist stuff, especially the Kraken APD6.

I liked the Kraken too Rob. This has the house sound 'ish, just with less of everything :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking at a bit more upmarket DACs for a bit. After really getting in to the Mojo I seriously thought about the Qutest but really didnā€™t want to go north of Ā£1k, so the RME and Denefrips Ares II were the ones I had been looking at the longest but something about the Ares was putting me off so I went back to the one I was looking at first and with Lake People amp and DT1990 Pro phones I seem to have gone all very German pro audio.

I have been on the fence for this for ages now and keep trying to save, however over Xmas a few things happened, as they do in my job. Over Xmas I saw one of my regulars who had spent a couple of days with his family. We had a lovely chat and we planned our next call and what we would we do in it, heā€™s very fussy and will only do certain things with me so he always wanted to know if I was in the next day. The following morning half an hour before I was due to go in to him I had a phone call from the office saying he had passed during the night.

The moral of the tale, donā€™t worry about today because tomorrow may never come. So sod it I bought it.

25 Likes

Enjoy - it certainly looks cool. And FWIW, couldnā€™t agree more with your sentiments: Live in the moment - all else is theoreticalā€¦

4 Likes

Google Pixel bluetooth earbuds.

Theoretically Ā£100, but free with a phone (that hasnā€™t actually turned up yet).

Conclusion after sticking one in for five seconds: do NOT like that AT ALL.

Oh well, at least I didnā€™t pay anything for them. I can probably find an unsuspecting wife, niece or SiL to palm them off onto.