Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

I’m hoping they will in the event of a power surge.

New needle for my GE VR/II mono cartridge.

I do also have a NOS VR/II on its way from some seller with a few in Switzerland.

4 Likes

Latest attempt to find a super quiet 5687 for the M7

GE version called 5 star (let’s hope it is) made in 1969

4 Likes

Ha, good luck!

Is that a Kondo M7 Kev?

AN Jap but built in Kondo San era

With a 5687 tube?

All the M7s of that era use a 5687 on the input stage. Same as mine.

2 Likes

1 Like

It is why I borrowed a Raytheon Bronze 5687 from you Dave!

I remember, is it to noisy? I also have a Raytheon JRP 5687WA Black plate tube which is supposed to be quiet.

The bronze is one of the better ones, but it seems to be a part of the circuit that is very tube dependent.
I have tried quite a few, incl Tung Sol, Westinghouse, Siemens, as well as the Raytheon.
A lot of them are rebadged Tung Sol.
The new GE one is very good.
I will take you up on the Raytheon JRP 5687WA Black plate when I bring your phono stage back.
(Although that is reliant on it’s replacement arriving! :grinning:)

Finding really quiet 5687 valves is a nightmare. Your best bet is a power amp/speaker combo with less gain :rofl:

AN JP amps always had volume pots on the input! then they moved away from 5687.

btw 7044 is a good replacement, the GE is generally quiet enough but it may not sound the same in that circuit

3 Likes

History of M7 versions here:

The M7 Line with a single 5687 will be a pre-2000 version before the mkII was introduced

3 Likes

I heard good things (quiet) about Electronic Enterprises 5687WB but they are very rare.

Lol, there’s only one part to the circuit, really - it’s basically a single gain cell.

The first M7 tube had a phono stage with 2x6072 and one 5687 and then the line stage also had 2x6072 and one 5687.

I think I did say “and very early ones may have used 2 x 6072 & 1 x 5687 in the phono stage & then 2 x 6072 & 1 x 5687 in the line stage”

thanks for confirming it :+1: :grin:

1 Like

Sorry, I just read the quoted bit. It was interesting that he didn’t go with a valve rectifier on those early M7s.

Phil’s is a SS rectifier