Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

OK, thanks. I’ll give it a bit more thought then, as I would be using the Suggie’s internal phono and it might well not do the ML justice.

Thanks Gareth. What sort of quality phono stage are you using ?

1 Like

Allnic H-1202

Ah, there you have it ! :thinking:

I got an Exposure 3510 in and running yesterday;

Do I think it is terribly attractive? Not really. Is the specification remarkable in any way? Again, no. It’s reasonably well made and the ability to add a phono stage or DAC board is a neat feature but on paper, it is singly unremarkable. The thing is, it’s really, really, fucking good. Genuinely taken aback at how it sounds.

12 Likes

Relative to what may I ask? What speakers is it currently matched up with?

Going back a while,but an exposure X and Neat mystiques I used to have was a great combo

Fair question. At £2,250, it is £250 cheaper than the Naim NAIT XS3 (which does have an MM phono stage on board as standard) and £250 more than a Rega Elicit Mk5 (sat on the rug next to it and which has a phono stage and a pair of digital inputs). The thing is, I would say the Exposure sounds more in keeping with the Supernait 3 (£3,800) and Rega Aethos (£3,300) than the two models it is priced against.

Today it is running with the Q Acoustics Concept 50 but I was using the Kudos Titans last night and that was outstanding.

5 Likes

Less features / gimmicks. Better sound.

Cool thanks for that. Have always enjoyed an Exposure amp when I’ve had a chance to hear one.

Just read the HFN review of the thing. Given the previous crossover with flat earth-ness I would have expected (having never listened to anything by them for some reason) a chopsocky kind of sound rather than one which causes someone to do the whole “solid state but like EL34s” shtick. Which could just be me being uninformed.

Audio Lab-Yah! rebrand suggestion received with thanks (But not payment)

Rebrand may not be successful, Japanman likes chopsocky in the streets but smooooth and refined in the listening chair.

Good to hear it TBH - always had a lot of time for Exposure’s 3000 series stuff - anything that can make PMCs sound good is deserving of wider respect :ok_hand:

Counterpoint - anything that has to change the signal enough to make PMCs sound good should sound like a veritable abortion through decent speakers.

1 Like

Metropolis studios is full of PMCs and Bryston amps

1 Like

I’ve been having a bit of a tidy up / clear out and came upon this

It hasn’t been in my system for a fair old while, so it’ll be interesting to see what I think now.

4 Likes

Amp ifier

Some crappy joke about taking 50 off it because Roman numerals and imperial weights.

Last year I won an auction for a Garrard, the Leak Stereo 20 I rebuilt and some Lowther Acoustas which had, as might be expected, rotted foam surrounds on the Pm6a drivers. I sent the drivers off to Dave Smith in Essex & eventually got them back refurbished. I refitted them to the cabinets today.

We’ve just had a wood floor put in through the hall to a small room at the back of the house so while it’s empty awaiting final decoration I set the speakers up in there with a CDP and EL84 amp.

These are the original diaphragms so that part doesn’t sound as if it needs breaking in & the speakers sound surprisingly mellow & not forward & shouty in the way some Lowthers (usually Acoustas) can. I’m pleasantly surprised. I think the cloth they used on the fronts is a bit on the thick & heavy side & it needs pulling up & better stapling in position in places but for a relatively compact horn they’re doing a nice job.

More ‘spacious’ with the grilles off.

29 Likes

My problem with things like this is that the initial idea is to sort them out & move them on but I end up liking them too much!

These sound fab, I think the older paper diaphragms have a much sweeter quality than the later Lowther ones so it was a good move to have those re-used.

9 Likes