Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Intredasting. This is going to get wallet-ouchy I suspect - I haven’t foo’d in a long time…

2 Likes

I’m waiting for tomorrow and more listening plus a tweak to the tilt on the right hand channel I couldn’t get right this evening, before any kind of conclusion.

But its clear in my room with these speakers - the Gaia do work and produce and audible effect on the sound.

1 Like

At an audio show they played with two sets identical speakers (one set without and one set with the Gaia) and let them automatically switch every 20 seconds or so. The difference was quite easy to distinguish. And yes. I liked it most with the Gaias.

2 Likes

Not in my system today, but purchased yesterday at a very significant discount to the advertised price. Being posted to me on the 24th.

14 Likes

Cracking buy.:+1:

1 Like

Some actual measurements to tempt Sir. Shame the manufacturer doesnt do this, depending on marketing blah instead.

I did have to read through various reviews that still talk bollocks about spikes and null point reduction of transmisibilty, drugs got me through it .

1 Like

Bit more patient adjustment today after quickly screwing them in and taking a listen last night. It makes a very obvious difference with the Duos if they are not slightly tipped forward and pointed at the listening spot and in my rush yesterday the right channel wasn’t quite dialled in.

Well after some tipping and screwing today both speakers are tipped forward a bit, but not equally and not flat with a level side to side - considerably more faffing required when I have a bit more time and patience.

However the overall soundstage is more balanced left to right, and the effect I thought I heard last night is still there - the speakers do indeed sound better with more controlled low bass yet a nice clear mid range.

About a grand for the feet in total but I’ve spent more on other component upgrades in the past and heard less of an improvement, so these definitely get a thumbs up recommendation in my set up at least.

7 Likes

Maybe he reckons that’s the way into the pockets of more of his customers …

Thanks. Not sure about method, and less about attribution. In my previous experience, isolating the speakers got rid of the effects of a bouncy suspended wooden floor that was joining-in audibly - causing a muddy, delayed signal through a chunk of the lower frequency spectrum - basically making speakers sound more like grandad’s radiogram.

The sole problem with a tweak product like this is that lots of people vigorously and earnestly prefer grandad’s radiogram…

The big struggle for me is the price - so if all of you could buy sets (75-100kg), and then sell them to me used at half price, that would be great, thanks :ok_hand:

3 Likes

This is the way :+1:

2 Likes

So, have you tried the speakers tipped forward a bit, but not equally and not flat with a level side to side, but with the original spikes rather than the Gaia footers?

In a way, yes - as it took me a while to adjust when I first got these and that’s how I learned first hand how sensitive they are in being angled towards you.

But no I haven’t removed the Gaia and fitted the spikes back in due to lazy reasons not wanting to spend another hour faffing about tipping a 90kg speaker this way and that.

2 Likes

Shying away from a workout!

1 Like

And maybe an expensive insurance claim. :grinning:

:laughing:

Not entirely new but giving them a burnout, not a fan of PP but fuck me 2a3 are clean and fast.

Also challenging Arthur’s glue (it may well end badly)

22 Likes

I had a pair of 2nd Audio’s , they sounded much better when I fitted a pair of Border Patrol psu’s.

Ultimately I got fed up with just too many boxes and sold them on.

That is one scary picture, it gives me the colly wobbles just looking at it!

I recall doing a music night (maybe in N Ireland) where we were using 2nd Audios on a rack with glass shelves. One of those gave way dropping one mono down onto the other but miraculously nothing broke & it all carried on playing so we left it as it was!

5 Likes

They do score quite highly on the celebrated kg/W scale…