Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Latest ebay purchase a pair of AKG LSM50’s - I had a pair 25 years ago they sounded excellent - I vividly remember an occasion with them sounding impressive after returning from a really loud Mary Black Concert in Oxford playing some tunes with them - Postage was just £2.38 therefore they arrived loose and rattling in the thinnest of boxes , no packing but fortunately survived. The rubber roll edges have hardened a lot but doesn’t seem to affect the sound too much. Total cost landed £26.82 - So pleased

8 Likes

I’ve been looking at amps for the 2nd system, everything from pre/dac-powers to battleship integrated amps and could not find exactly what I wanted in the <£1k bracket. I wanted ideally something with some flexibility, so at least one of a DAC, Phonostage, Line Out and Processor In/Out loop and a fairly powerfull output stage but could not really find anything that did it all.
I was not really aware of the Lyngdorf amplifiers but came across the TDA2200 which looks like it meets my needs on everything apart from a Phono Input (which was the least required requirement).
It does not have a Line Out/Main in switch (like Bryston amps for example) to loop in a processor like the MiniDSP 2x4HD I have, but it does have a pretty unique additon of internal crossovers for the main speakers and line out, as well as the DSP room correction.
Well, I’ve struck a good deal (well under budget) on a used TDA2200 (upgraded to TDAi spec) from a dealer so looking forward to it!

17 Likes

Finally got around to mounting this Souther tonearm recently. Its a fantastic sounding device but its a proper ball ache to set up and only works with pristine vinyl. Quirky bit of audio history.

23 Likes

Look at my brand new 2nd hand Hana SL

I nearly ordered a new Technics headshell during the week, found 3 in the draw this evening which was a nice surprise. I’d planned on detaching the Nag from the one I had in use as a temporary measure.

The cart and the phono stage are working very well - quiet and detailed. Nice to hear the refined, smooth high frequency response of a decent MC.

For the money I paid (£350 with approx 30hrs use) it is beyond criticism.
Cheers @Ijrussell

27 Likes

I still have mine! Very happy with it.

1 Like

I have the ML in my Voyd but still use an SL in my Genesis and have been using it for the last few weeks.
Still enjoying it, lovely cartridge.

2 Likes

It reminds me of my Shelter 501mk2.
Very similar presentation.

3 Likes

I bought a SH to use with the MM input but wasn’t impressed with it.

Then got an SL and used it with a SUT and was very impressed :slight_smile:

Still doesn’t beat the IQ3 though.

1 Like

I own both an SL and an IQ2 and there is very little, if anything, between them.

I’ve had an SL in my daily driver for the last three years. Been very happy with it. When it’s worn out I might try an ML.

Which is where I am now

You won’t regret an ML.

3 Likes

Same manufacturer I think

3 Likes

It must be 15 years ago that I owned the Shelter, however the presentation is so familiar it’s uncanny.
Makes sense that they’re from the same place.

1 Like

I think Excel Corp did make the Shelter cartridges

1 Like

Someone has a damned good acoustic memory - many of us imagine we do, but it’s a very rare thing in reality :ok_hand:

More brand new 2nd hand stuff.

This time a small black box of faf, I may start a thread to discuss the faf.

14 Likes

Newish (very low ex-demo hours) bit of Teutonic engineering :grinning:

It’s their tweaked Ortofon Quintet Blue or Bronze I can’t remember exactly but hopefully as good as my AS MM3 which is their tweaked Ortofon 2M Black which does sounds amazing.

It’s been ages since I’ve had an MC cart so didn’t want to spunk a load of cash on one and this popped up at a very good price so thought feck it why not.

Mind you it’ll be a while before I get to hear it with my impending house move looming large.

23 Likes

Nice, is that the Flex or Flex HT? Looks a great bit of kit and some useful features over the 2x4HD! Be interested in how you get on with it!

Its the Flex - 4 with RCA connections.
It does offer alot more, but then so it should. With the Dirac license is 3 or 4 times the price.

1 Like