Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Kevin is obsessive about tight bass, not for everybody but I find the bass enough. A well recorded double bass is outstanding.

Like you I haven’t found them as fussy about positioning as others have suggested. I find they work well not too far apart.

1 Like

Speaking of the Chromecast Audio, has anyone found a way to enable gapless playback? I have one, but bunged it in a drawer ages ago as it was hopeless with classical music.

Someone on the old here was going to send me one…

Never arrived.

That was me. And I’ve lost your address now!

Still doesn’t do it. Might come in a firmware update sometime

Thanks - if they sort that, it will be awesome.

Marantz CD50 I found in a junk shop in Wilmslow for £15, rather pleased as it works really well and even has the original remote and is not banged up. They had a Technics micro system (the expensive one) for £40 as well, but I passed as it was marked up.

Will it see off the Avid? :grin:

A manual would have been nice :confused: off for a Google

to be continued…

4 Likes

What is it Nick?

Michell ?

A Gyro SE and a VC power supply.

1 Like

My money is on the Avid

1 Like

Ex Gyro owner. Only one thing matters - getting the damn platter to bounce vertically!

There is more to it - the bounce should be like a rapid oscillation- not slow and steady

Ooer matron :wink:

1 Like

Is a clamp/weight essential on these? I didn’t get one with it.

Not essential, but I believe it was designed with there own clamp in mind.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/gyrose/

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/accessories/record-clamp/

The se doesn’t come with a clamp, it makes little difference, if any.

2 Likes

I had one and didn’t get on with the screw down clamp, so I used it without, I couldn’t hear any difference. What did make a difference was the Orbe platter / bearing kit and also the HR power supply and replacing the plastic arm mount ring (under the arm board) with a nice brass one.

These TT’s love SME IV/V arms.

It took me a while to set the thing up, the springs are very sensitive.

Agreed, the Avid will win but the Gyro will look tons cooler. :smiley: