Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Quite surprising, considering you normally like sharp angled things

You have gone for a round blobby thing

1 Like

I thought the R had a profile that lent itself to following the groove walls rather than just guessing

1 Like

Nice. The standard 103 sounds divine on the big Yammie and I quite fancied trying that myself!

1 Like

Actually I’m mistaken. It uses the same spherical tip. The difference is in the coils, wire & winding which give it a lower impedance.

I found the 103R quite a lot better than a 103 back in my Thorens 124/SME 12” days

1 Like

Spherical tips in this century. Just wtf.

4 Likes

I’ve heard the 103 is much improved by ESCo when they fit a sapphire cantilever and paratrace stylus.
I don’t know why Denon don’t launch a few 103 upgrades particularly to stylus shape. I’m sure with a modest advertising campaign they would see a decent increase in sales. There are a lot of people who still rate it. I’ve tried a 103 and it wasn’t for me but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t gold in them there hills one look at the cable market proves that.

1 Like

I tried one of the Zu Denon 103s years ago and that was quite good.

1 Like

Did you buy it when you were drunk?

I have heard ESCo say this too.
I have also had ESCo tell me that a stylus on a Shelter 900 (that they hadn’t seeen) would need replacing as 400 hours was well past its useful life.

I don’t listen to ESCo much these days

1 Like

What a ridiculous thing for them to say.

Stylus replacement company recommends replacing stylus very frequently.

You are surprised?

3 Likes

I’m always drunk.

3 Likes

A combination that is the apotheosis of subtlety, no doubt.

Been looking for a nice pair of Electa Amator 2 for a good while to further my Sonus obsession and finally pushed the button on these. They have been well cared for and I’m looking forward to spending some hours with them, being a sucker for nice timber(!). I have Canare 4S11 or some Belden 9497 to plug them in with. Now, where’s the bloody solder gone…

15 Likes

I thought the 103 garbage in a Jelco arm. Replaced it with a PTGii which worked nicely then later swaped out the Jelco for a Funk arm which raised the bar significantly. Figured I’d sell the 103 as I’d never use it and some seem to like it for some reason. Popped it on the Funk to check all was well. Amazed, it came to life, perhaps not quiet the resolution of the PTGii but big, bold and very engaging.

Lesson in there somewhere (and no tracking issues though haven’t used it much)

1 Like

DS Audio stylus cleaner :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve got one of those. The tin tarnishes in air over time but otherwise, it’s the tits.

1 Like

• The low mass generator utilises a Samarium-Cobalt magnet with a low-mass cross coil madeof pure virgin copper wires
  • The aluminium 7000 telescopic tube cantilever maximises stiffness without a massive high Q peak
  • Micro Elliptical diamond stylus tip that is designed for maximum tracking ability without compromising the high frequency response or increasing surface noise
  • Bonded through diamond assembly maximises alignment and rigidity
  • Wide band frequency response of below 10Hz to 40kHz
  • Output of 0.5mV will provide a lifelike dynamic range with depth and precision

Copper wire and elliptical diamond. Must sound pants then :wink:
I think not!

3 Likes

Pure virgin copper
drools