Shooting the shit - all about the gunzs

I’ve shot clay pigeons, it’s quite fun. I can easily see the desire to get your own shotgun if you did it every week. And if you did stationary target practice you’d want your own weapon for sure.

Really can’t get shooting any kind of game for sport though, whether elephants or grouse. Everyone who does that is a cunt.

2 Likes

It’s clearly going to be a number of generations to get rid of guns there, but it will happen. The 21st century will reach the flyover states. Obviously the 20th has to get there first, but give it time…

2 Likes

Fair play, but I just cannot understand why anyone would want to actually own a gun unless they were scared or needed to try to extend their willies.

Surely for hobby purposes a hire at the target site would be better…

It’s not really just a fly over states thing.

We still have guns, so I can’t see them getting rid of them entirely.

I think a limit on capacity is probably the first easiest step. I don’t really see the difference between an assault rifle or any semi automatic rifle, they are functionally the same. So just drop all capacities to a max of 3 or something.

This is what I did or used friends.

I would own a gun. I did enjoy range shooting and some of the craftsmanship is sublime. However I’d probably not keep ammo at home. The concept of firearms for self defence in the home isn’t something I can tune into.

1 Like

It’s not my cup of tea. But I can’t say I’m entirely against it. I don’t get killing endangered animals, but a feral pig or a deer to eat? I don’t have much of an issue with that while I stuff my face with copious amounts of pork and beef.

1 Like

Straya is not a million miles from Uhmerca on guns. Post Port Arthur (1996), it’s more difficult to get a licence but easy enough.
In the early 80s I was a member of a gun club. I shot 9mm bore pistols. I had 3 pistols, 2 rifles and a shotgun. My licence required me to go to a police station, show ID and tell them that I had “a” gun. I kept then at the club but could legally keep them at home. TBF, the only time they could be carried in public was in a car or on private land.
Most commonly, a gun was a 22 single shot, used to shoot rabbits or wild pigs.
If you lived on a farmor live in a rural area, a licence was automatically issued. If you lived in an urban area (pre 1996) you went to the police station as above.
After 1996, you have to give “justification” for ownership. Sometimes you were required to have a psychological assessment. Not difficult at all.

However, in Straya you are more likely to be shot by a member of the constabulary. They carry side arms regardless of duty.

There’s a world of difference between that and a magazine loaded assault rifle. One makes sense on a farm, the other belongs in call of duty only.

2 Likes

Nice to see you chose an edit that fits your narrative.

A mind set of fear seems to play into the US psyche that may form a part in gun ownership. It is written into their constitution, the right to bear arms as a militia etc. This connotes a “threat”. Racism connotes a threat too. This was generations before the commie pinko liberal “threats”. Generations of fear warped beliefs and justifications don’t disappear easily
Particularly in people who feel powerless and insecure enough to need a death tool to feel any illusion of power at all. There is of course much more to it but under a lot of the rationalizations I’ve heard from Americans there seems an unhealthy dose of fear

4 Likes

3 Likes

I can understand exactly why that would not be the case.
No way would golfers take a hire set of clubs that they hadn’t been fitted for, no way would club cyclists use a hire bike
If you are in to a hobby then the kit is very much part of it (for some it is the most important part!)

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s always fear. More a deluded sense of if the worst happened they could play hero.

Moi.

You are wrong. It is not a hobby for most people. They own guns because they think it is their right, and they should.
If as many as you say were hobbyists, they would be happy to leave them at the club, and sign them out on the day.
Hunters the same.
There is no chance the average gun owner in America, is a hobbyist.
They are saying it is their right, and they will defend it to the end.
There is nothing sensible about it.

3 Likes

I have often read that a lot of Americans believe that they need to be armed to defend themselves from their own Government. (Not this particular administration necessarily, but any Government)

I can only go by my experience. Almost everyone I knew out there, let’s say 90+% owned guns, collected them, went to the range regularly. None were NRA right wing nutters in the least. Most were pretty progressive compared to the norm. It was quite the culture shock. Of course it was the middle Florida mind, it’s a bit skewed there.

I didn’t say it was sensible either.

That’s an awful picture Mick. Really upsetting.

2 Likes

That little word there leads to all kinds of imagined fear. ‘If’ is not borne in reality.