Slaughterhouse

The only reason my (now) 24 year old daughter, and most of her class, passed (C+) their GCSE English is because they were returned their assignments, with what to add, marked up in red, by their teacher. Fact !

Kids these days are taught (drummed into them) ONLY what they need to pass their exams. Totally farcical.

Which perhaps goes back to my point that in some ways “They have it too easy”.

“They” being the kids, not the teachers

I am a bit more positive,
I work with quite a few young graduates, they work far harder than I ever did at their age, maybe because they had to pay to get through Uni, they do surprise me with what they don’t know, but life was ever thus, I genuinely forget how much of what I know and bring to the job is because of cock ups I have made or witnessed, that is how you acquire experience.
There are some extremely talented youngsters out there.
Another consideration is the way the education system works.
When I was at school about 60% of people left school at 16, 40% went on to further education either ONC or A Levels. Only 10% of kids went to Uni.
Given that the average intelligence of kids has stayed the same, the top level of kids will be just as bright, just as good as they ever were. What we have now is a load of kids who have been pushed through a system purely because it keeps them off the unemployment lists for longer.
There are very few jobs for 16 year olds, or many proper apprenticeships (I don’t count the majority of the worthless 'apprenticeships that are out there, cheap labour by any other name).
Unfortunately we have kids leaving Uni who probably shouldn’t have gone in the first place (not their fault) with degrees which the wider world do not value (not their fault) and an expectation that this degree will open doors to all sorts of opportunities (our fault for feeding them this bullshit).

4 Likes

If the only way teachers and schools are measured or valued is by hitting KPIs then that will be the obvious direct result. OFSTED has a lot to answer for, and it is not the kids fault,

Totally agree and didn’t suggest any other. Still points to the academic system being completely broken.

1 Like

Yeah the kids who then become teachers.

I agree with all of that.

I so totally blame @anon14766838 and @htm_1968, myself. Ivory towers and shit, pfft :slight_smile:

I haven’t taught an undergraduate module in the UK since 1994. The graduate modules I teach are 5% UK students.

So, feck off!

:upside_down_face:

After experimenting with various of the new crop of CBD products I’ve pretty much settled on these nice folk, who live only a few miles out of town and have a stall in the local mall. My experience in the review section.

1 Like

@Rob998 Get yer jersey on! Community matters. :+1:

http://www.reform.uk/reformer/old-system-new-service-the-jersey-post-health-innovation/

1 Like

It’s a good idea and back in the day lots of Posties used to do this for their elderly customers, albeit out of their own concern rather than as part of their duty. I certainly did when I first started.

The problem that I can see is that most Posties on the mainland simply don’t have the time anymore, there is very little slack time in a duty these days and I can’t see that improving any time soon. If a Postie is given this task to do, he’s going to want to get the time back elsewhere, and Royal Mail just won’t.

But, yes, in principle it’s great.

1 Like

My postie hates dogs, how can you hate a 4 year old stupid as a box of frogs black lab?

3 Likes

Because loads of them have been bitten by dogs that were “just saying hello” or were “scared by your Hi-viz” or “wouldn’t hurt a fly”.

Personally I’m pretty good at gauging which dogs are just over enthusiastic and which ones want to take my leg off, but I will never, ever trust a Jack Russell that I don’t know. They can be snidey little cunts.

4 Likes

Our Jack (dumb as a sack of spanners) adored Fred the postman, but he hated the bin men with a burning passion.

Never did figure out why.

1 Like

Pinching his deserved leftovers I would imagine.

2 Likes

My personal theory was along the lines of:

Fred makes a fuss of him: Fred is OK
Bin men don’t make a fuss of him: bin men must die

1 Like

I was walking in the park yesterday. A couple of kids aged about 2-3 approached a dog with big smiles, gave it some fuss and all was well.

But the dog owner had a real go at the parent, for allowing her kids to approach an unknown dog. Despite this dog being fine, many aren’t.

I find this complicated. I struggle to get away from “if your dog snaps at and bites small kids, it should be destroyed”.

My son was attacked by a dog while he was scooting in a park. He was ignoring the dog, but it still attacked him and drew blood through jeans.

I think that we are too tolerant of badly behaved dogs. And bad dog owners.

1 Like

More so this ^^^