SOYS: State Of Your System

No you don’t understand, ALL horn systems can be faithfully reproduced on You Tube.
I have seen it on the internet,

5 Likes

MUST be true then, the internet wooden lie…

I can video my trousers flapping if you like😂

2 Likes

Dug this out from 2011😱

Much has changed since then!
But the the tapped horns and frequency extension remains.

Coco wrote:- "I was really looking forward to hearing these as this similar to what I plan to do with my own system.

I certainly wasn’t disappointed. They sound absolutely effortless - you get a sense of incredible power, but completely under control. The tapped horn bass is like nothing you’ve ever heard before. It just pressurises the room and makes it feel like it’s not even trying. Like distant thunder!"

and after later listening

"it sounded very good indeed! It has amazing presence and a really effortless presentation. The tube amp has sweetened the upper mid which sounds less grey and more vivid than I previously remember. The slight residual bloom on the upper bass has been eliminated, too. As for the way they pressurise the room at LF… :shock: I imagine they could be used as a weapon/torture device!

Everyone should hear this, time for a bake off?

Edit: Oh and they are f**cking enormous. Nothing prepares you for quite how large they are. Even having seen them several times, they still shock me. The photos just don’t capture the sheer volume they take up!"

(We did have a little meet, and then some bright spark suggested Scalford!:slightly_smiling_face:)

5 Likes

What short memories you have,

Does no one remember this thread? :grinning:

2 Likes

triggered

Thanks. Many of us have sought professional help in order to try to forget. :rage:

2 Likes

Dac no.4, very late night listening.

old mobile phone now only being used as a portable music device in to a D10 via usb and then using the D10 to convert to SPDIF via optical in to the RME. Monolith M1570 planar phones driven by the internal amp of the RME.

My most expensive bit of kit and there’s good reason why I haven’t bought much since. Never got on with the M1570 but using the PEQ and the crossfeed features of the RME, even using compressed sound from Youtube Music via the mobile it makes it almost impossible to tell the difference between this and the hi-res Qobuz feed through the other DACs.

Maybe these German pro audio guys know what they are doing.

As primarily a headphone user, I’d probably say this is an essential bit of kit.

2 Likes

Somewhat surprised to find my much-loved (and much upgraded) First Watt J2 power amp now taking what’s likely to be a lasting sabbatical, and a pair of Electrocompaniet AW180 monoblocs taking its place instead.

The brief experiment with my ‘spare’ hybrid monos (400WPC) showed that - sensitive as they are - the Heco Dreiklangs / ‘Singing Washing-Machines’ benefitted from more than 25WPC up 'em: yielding tighter bass and improved vocal articulation.

The Electrocompaniets not only Up all of that still further, they also bring their own wonderful ease and clarity, along with a clean, supple musicality more typical of valves. Risky (downright foolish…) statement tho’ it is - this feels like end-game hifi right now.

The change in amps required new cabling - so in came 2 x 3m Hosa HMIC-000 PRO XLR cables, hilariously short 1m Van Damme Hifi Series 6mm UPOFC speaker cables, and a trimmed-down DIY mains distribution board feeding individual DC-blocking mains filters of my own design (originally based on P-A Sjöström’s well-know DC blocker). Had a general tidy-up and rearrange to optimise things yesterday.

For the sake of cooling/carpet damage, I also made a couple of spiked floor-stands for the Electrocompaniets from some 1" x 12" oak board I rescued from a skip.

Kit list:

Jays Audio CDT-2 mk2 - lightly tweaked.
Audio Note Kits DAC 4.1LE with USB input - lightly tweaked, with a few more upgrades planned.
Arcam DT-91 FM/DAB tuner.
Pro-ject Xtension 10 TT, with Ortofon Cadenza Black and Pro-ject RS Uni offboard linear PSU.
Lehmann Audio ‘Silver Cube’ phonostage.
AudioValve Eclipse pre-amp - rebuilt and significantly upgraded.
Electrocompaniet AW-180 ‘Ampliwire’ monoblocs.

All of the power and signal wiring - aside from the Hosa XLRs - are DIY.

Extremely happy with the sound now - better than I thought possible at a sane price.

26 Likes

I do think that split is better than long speaker cables where possible.

2 Likes

Going to depend on choice of wires and kit, but it’s the opposite of what’s theoretically preferable - most systems are single-ended, and so poking a few volts of small-signal up what can be quite capacitative coax is going to do more harm sonically than poking a higher voltage/current signal along a couple of copper ropes to some speakers.

In this instance I didn’t really have anywhere else to park the monos that wasn’t a nuisance, and the Hosa cables use a lot more copper than typical signal cables, plus balanced… No negative impact on sound, so all good :+1:

1 Like

It’s nice,when you can get to keep both amps,and switch every few months as memory can often play tricks.

Although mine are at the bargain end,it’s always interesting putting the AI 300 back in after using the quad 34/306

The quad sounds very good in its own right,yet when I put the AI back on,it sounds much quicker and nimble with certain music.
I

3 Likes

Must admit I have mixed feelings - I’d probably still be listening to the J2 and thoroughly enjoying it, but @Jim had to open his gob and mention the bass was a bit soft in the lowest registers - so it’s his fault obviously, and not mine for pulling the Pro-ject RS monos out of the Cupboard Of Shame…

Between those and the J2s it was like a your Quad vs AI - both do summat good, but neither is king. The Norwegian Supertoasters are a whole league up from their predecessors. Glad I found some at a decent price, especially as they have literally just been superseded, and their replacements are £12,100 a pair!!! :hushed: :open_mouth: :astonished: :flushed:

1 Like

:innocent:

3 Likes

It’s ALL your fault!

ALL of it!

[Sam didn’t believe a word of it, natch.]

2 Likes

Well as a newbie here, maybe I should add some context!

It’s been a mad year, I’ve had kit in and out of the system in an attempt to find the right balance for my ears. It all started with the purchase of a set of SHL5+ Harbeths, which I decided to mate to Parasound Halo integrated. That didn’t work out so I started amp swapping and eventually ended up with a Hegel H200.

I stupidly decided to try upgrading the amp to a hegel H390 (thinking more of the same), which ruined things completely, so i’ve been through a few options of late, finally settling (very happily) on the one I have now:

Pro-Ject Perspex 6 SB
RS UNI TT power supply
Transfiguration Phoenix MC Cart

Roon ROCK
Auralic Aries G1
Chord Hugo TT2

Luxman L509x

Harbeth SHL5+

The whole lot runs off an Audiolab DC Block 6 - because I have some DC on the line in the house and things tend to buzz! so the audiolab acts like a posh 6 way mains block!

19 Likes

Photos always make the L509 lights look super blue, but they’re actually white!

6 Likes

Nice cart!

2 Likes

I’m terrified of what i’ll do when it needs replaced! which won’t be that far away. I have no idea what to replace it with!

I’m sure the folks on here will have a few suggestion for you to ignore :smile:

1 Like