SOYS: State Of Your System

They’re Transmission Audio M1i’s Andy. They use Transmission Audio’s Quadra 4-Ribbon tweeters with an in-house (well, Bengtsson / Jordan) developed 5" Flexfoil woofer with a 1st order crossover. Bengtsson did design the earlier Red Rose speakers I believe, so they are an iteration of those.

2 Likes

Fine speakers they are too :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info they really look like the sort of speakers that I would like.

My amplification!

Dan D’Agostino Master Systems Momentum HD preamp and Momentum S250 MxV stereo power amp.

I had lived with Conrad Johnson amps between 2004 and 2022 (CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA) and the search for a worthy replacement, proving to be a good match to my speakers, was exhausting.

After home auditioning many capable contenders, I settled on the Dags!

I think there’s Borg DNA in there somewhere!

19 Likes

Bloomin Blingtastic! :sunglasses:

1 Like

My gramophone player!

TW Acustics Raven One turntable, Graham Phantom II tonearm, Audio Technical ART 20 mc cartridge (+ Whest TITAN Pro phono stage with upgraded TITAN II input stage).

The turntable and arm date from 2010, but I refreshed the cartridge/phono stage last summer, which has led to me playing more vinyl as a percentage of music listened to.

Most of my system investment is on digital replay, which dominates my preferred method of music replay, but there is something to say about having a good record-playing session now and again!

17 Likes

My digital replay system!

dCS Vivaldi CD/SACD Transport, dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC, dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock, dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Mutec Ref 10 SE-120 10Mhz reference clock, Aurender N20 server/streamer.

I use Coherent Systems (Tony Sallis) excellent 6D Gen II AES/EBU and BNC clock cables and the analogue interconnects (XLR balanced) from the DAC to the preamp are Tony’s Coherent BD.

13 Likes

My Loudspeakers!

TAD CR1 MKII, purchased in 2015, after a long search for a replacement for my Avalon Indra’s, which had been in my system since 2008.

I tend to live with speakers longer than my other system components and I really liked what the Avalon’s did with most genres of music. However, I always considered them to be lacking in reproducing rock!

I had extended home demos with Avalon Compas’ speakers (better bass, but the mid/treble balance was inferior to the Indra’s IMHO) and Estelon XA’s, which I quite liked, but Mrs Snoopdog declared them “hideous!”

After listening to the TAD’s at the 2015 Windsor HiFi Show, I accepted the offer of an extended home loan and liked what they did in my system. After owning floor standers for decades, here was a pair of stand-mounts that really punched above their weight and nothing to criticise on any type of music reproduced. (I should declare that the TAD’s, although being very capable in the bass department in my 22’ x 18’3" x 8’ room, are augmented by a pair of REL Gibraltar G2 subs, crossed over at 32Hz and providing minimal bass reinforcement, with gain barely audible - they certainly give no clue to their position in the room, when in circuit).

Oh! and Mrs Snoopdog approved, because they “match the curtains!” FFS!

19 Likes

I heard some of their stuff over the summer, liked it a lot more than I thought I would given I’ve never heard a Krell amp that didn’t sound like shit. Not sure I can shake the Victorian diving bell aesthetic vibe though :rofl:

3 Likes

You’re banned

21 Likes

Most people have a “Marmite” reaction to the looks, which I personally like (retro/steam punk), but there’s no denying the build-quality and the synergy with my TAD speakers (not the easiest of transducers to marry successfully with amplification)

I did audition TAD’s own M600 mono blocs with their C600 preamp, but the sheer physical size of each mono bloc, which weigh in at 90kg meant that, good as they sound, I had to pass!

As I hurtle towards 70, I have to think about having to move my kit around at some point in the future, without doing damage to myself!

At least wait until I’ve detailed the rest of my system “foo!” :grinning:

3 Likes

4 Likes

How do you get the hoovering done @Snoopdog

1 Like

Is it just me that sniggers when I hear the words ‘Coherent’ and 'Cables; in the same sentence? :smiley:

7 Likes

Nope

Reminds me of cage fighting for some reason

6 Likes

Remember a bloke on the wam who bought some £4k bookshelves speakers,and his Mrs made him sell them as his wife wasn’t happy with the wood colour as they didn’t match the skirting boards.

2 Likes

I hope the took the correct path: Huge horns & divorce.

6 Likes

Your room looks familiar. I have a feeling I may have possibly bought a Karan KAL ref preamp from you a few years ago?

2 Likes