SOYS: State Of Your System

This is the way…

1 Like

Latest additions of Diavolo with Takatsukis and Eversolo streamer all sounding great…

23 Likes

I like the turntable! I have an upgrade desire for my turntable, but i’m after an SME i think!

1 Like

Very pleased with everything in my system. It has taken 17 years to get to this point. Biggest upgrades over the years have been the Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ 10".

They’re 50 years old and still know how to party…

Then there is the Audio Innovations Series 500. I promised myself that when the Tandberg 3002 and 3003 pre and power Amplifiers shat themselves, I would go to valves.

I don’t regret that. The NOS Russian military spec power valves were a great upgrade as were the Mullard signal valves…

Then there’s the specially commissioned Thorens TD150 Mk2; and the Cyrus Discmaster 8.0…

Music just flows; always enjoyable regardless volume levels and time of the day. Or night.

Still in love! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

15 Likes

The best thing to do is buy the new thing then ask for advice of what to get and smugly ignore it all!

3 Likes

I was thinking of doing something makeshift with a carpet nail and some blutac

1 Like

Ah, Sir has chosen the Audio Technica route…

5 Likes

The Denon DL 103 :grinning:

3 Likes

First big mistake…

You need much bigger, uglier speakers, ideally with some sort of fiddly, user-unfriendly active crossover that will fuel your Audiophilia nervosa for years to come :+1:

2 Likes

But then i’d have to look at them!

It’s probably not what I’d put my money on as and when the time comes, but there’s something about that Harbeth + Luxman combo that’s very special. Cannot remember who ran a system with them and a Palmer at Scalford years back, but it was bloody fantastic.

1 Like

I think for me it’s an aesthetic choice too, they both fit in with our “mid century” thing. I find the whole lot great to look at and there’s something very unique about the harbeth sound. I’ve never heard such a big boxy speaker, sound utterly as if theres not a single box in sight! they have an almost panel speaker transparency, but, with bass!

When I got the luxman, something snapped into focus and I finally understood the best of both bits of kit. I’m still not 100% sold on the chord DAC yet, but i’ll perhaps audition a DCS next year!

John/Rockmeister.

Think the dozy sod sold it all in the end.

TBF it all sounded very ‘safe’ and mid-fi, but sure looked purty!

Tragic lack of commitment :-1:

We’re all just one upgrade from our next divorce here…

3 Likes

Thankfully my own level of house proudness and commitment to the aesthetic, means that there are many speakers that will never ever enter this home :slight_smile:

In fact I’m pretty lost as to what I’d get if i ever wanted to upgrade beyond SHL5+

@crimsondonkey is our leading interior design guru, I am sure he would be delighted to help you with your speaker selection quandary

2 Likes

I think it appealed in part because when I do have music on it tends to be for quite long periods, so stuff that’s too full on just gets all fatiguing. That R2R + Quad + LS5/8 system that went in a few years later had a similar appeal to me.

The answer is always mahoosive horns

4 Likes

I don’t think the missus likes it when i have the horn.

The answer is horns, bigger the better. If you’re not sure how big, just get the biggest ones. Ignore naysayers or domestic objections - tough it out :laughing:

View from the seat -

Bit of ladderax (growing)

16 Likes