Stability Issues with my Acoustic Solid TT

I had this with a turntable - I needed to clean and re-grease the bearing.

1 Like

Ici

1 Like

Could it be anything to do with the bearing issue in this review?

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/acoustic_solid_machine_e.html

2 Likes

Ah now that makes sense. Will try that, Cheers.

It’s a thin rubber band. 38 euro thin rubber band to be precise, because HIFI.

2 Likes

Thank you, lots to go at there. The top half is kept fairly clean, I suspect the bearing needs a clean and re oil. Will try all of your suggestions though, thanks.

I’ve got an Acoustic Solid too. I’ve found that unless it’s absolutely level you will get audible speed fluctuations.

How bad are the ones you’re experiencing?

1 Like

If the bearing is as snug a fit as suggested by that TNT-Audio review then I can quite imagine temperature fluctuations at home causing an issue. Certainly would in our house.

1 Like

Not that bad. The wall shelf is a suspension jobby and does get out of flat after a while. The tensioners have to be wound in. Will check those again, as it’s been a little while since I did it.

it’s flat. Not that.

1 Like

You need to let the lamp under there gently keep the bearing warm :grinning: (a la Brinkmann)

Haha it’s probably warming the belt too! doh! It’s a proper bulb for 50hz reasons. I’ll move it.

The trouble is, the issue is so rare, but it’s just enough to make you look up, with a look on your face.

The fact that it’s a rare occurrence sort of indicates motor/psu rather than some ongoing mechanical issue.

yes, that makes sense. Oh well, best delete this thread quick so I can sell it :joy:

2 Likes

I used to rinse the rubber band with a little bit of washing up liquid quite regularly as it would get quite dirty and cause occasional slippage.

1 Like

If its a cap going south its a simple fix.

1 Like

Just use this as an excuse to buy one with a bigger platter :+1:

2 Likes

You can if you’ve got a Vestax VRX-2000.

2 Likes

If you having size envy :smiley:

Its worthwhile cleaning the bearing, mine was an oldie and I got a new ceramic ball as the original had wear marks.

It was never going to win stability wars sat next to a Garrard though, and it had to go .

2 Likes