Stability Issues with my Acoustic Solid TT

As title, getting a bit of a speed wobble from time to time with my turntable. Anything I can check? Belt is fairly new.

Have you tried direct drive?

8 Likes

Stop taking the speed…

2 Likes

Buy a reel to reel (I got it in before one of the other r2r bores) :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I was expecting that…zzz Listen to the same album every day for the rest of your life. :joy:

3 Likes

Was rather hoping to fix the issue, rather than buying a new TT :joy:

1 Like

Is the belt slipping on the pulley?

And what is the belt made from?

Indeed. Vinyl let’s you listen to music released after 1970. Imagine that! :rofl:

3 Likes

But you can’t record CDs on to vinyl…

1 Like

Imagine if someone really thought the choice was either this or that. :grinning:

Just play reggae - it’ll sound all right

4 Likes

You are in denial and further to that I suspect you already have a new SL-1200G in the post for Christmas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Music choice? With R2R? :laughing:

If it’s only occasionally it suggests a power supply issue. Crud on the motor pulley would be causing an ongoing speed stability issue. Of course it’d be wise to ensure the pulley is clean, the platter too where the belt makes contact. Check the bearing is properly lubricated, maybe even cleaning out & putting in new oil. Also wash the belt in warm soapy water & pat dry keeping fingers off it.

But beyond that it’ll either be a defect in the power supply or possibly the phase splitting cap (if it has a synchronous ac motor). Do you know what type of motor it uses?

You’ll be suggesting a better way to get my fix of Atlantic soul or Decca/RCA/DG/EMI recorded classical next & I’ll laugh at you :grinning:

1 Like

That would be my first option if the belt is new

1 Like

There is a disappointing lack of pale, angsty girl with guitar / Americana on R2R, I’ll grant you that.

2 Likes

I think their t/t’s have string ‘belts’ so washing it might not be straightforward. I believe they do use synchronous AC motors.

@FatCuntTroller could it be a tension issue causing some intermittent slippage on the pulley?

Otherwise, what Guy said.

1 Like

Sounds as if it’s a monofilament fishing line according to a review I looked at.

1 Like

Ah. ok.

Just looked on their website and they just say string. Might be a translation thing though.

1 Like