Streaming system for a grand. All in

A ghettoblaster for the modern age.

No idea how bluetooth streaming works - can I stream Tidal (in hi-fi quality) to it using my iPad?
If not I’m out.:disappointed:

I tried it using a MiniDSP with Dirac live and thought it sounded awful, just suppressed any dynamics in the sound.

Having tried about 5 different bluetooth devices to connect to a hi-fi, my experience is not good, generally a big step down from ordinary wireless comms, which is a step down from cabled, but an acceptable step.

If bluetooth is just controlling then it should be OK, if it’s music transmission, not OK.

Just my view after trying it and really wanting it to be OK. The device / driver makes a huge difference with bluetooth.

I think that it is possible to do lossless streaming over Bluetooth, but your chances of achieving this are small.

You’re much better off using a renderer such as a Chromecast Audio that can be remotely controlled on your phone. This works well, and you can easily get bit-perfect Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz/your music, indeed with a digital output if you want.

2 Likes

I use chromecast audio as my only source via my phone - Sometimes It can be a minor faff to swap spotify from my PC to chromecast hifi as I have to toggle around once to make it connect but It faultlessly works once connected.

I think the Chromecast is brilliant and recommend it for streaming duties
I use miniDSP for crossover and find it excellent.

2 Likes

I have been using the miniDSP system for perhaps a year or so with digital audio, it is excellent and transparent, never looked back.

To add, my speakers and subs aren’t exactly conventional and don’t have their own crossovers.

Ime using dsp as a means of room correction for speakers with conventional passive crossovers doesn’t end well.

1 Like

This^

Completely agree. I use the minidsp as a crossover and for some mild bass eq. Works fine and I can’t hear any problems.

• Optical and coaxial digital input for direct connection of digital audio devices (e. g. TV)

Or chromecast. Yes.

He bought the Denon HEOS and the Q Acoustic 3050i’s. Peter Tyson had a package deal.

I bet it will sound very decent compared to the shite most people have in their homes.

11 Likes

Looks a decent option to me.

hahaha

Put up a thread asking for options and buy what you originally thought all along.
Good to see you still know how to use a forum :grin:

13 Likes