Student loan help

Very strange. Retrospectively applying affordability criteria to a loan is one thing if it is the government doing it. However, this suggests to be a company that bought the debt book of the government, they certainly won’t have bought the legal right to retrospectively apply affordability criteria.

Letter to the current Minister and s separate one too your MP to make them aware of what’s happening and to ask the Minister if the Minister gave the debt collection agency authority to retrospectively apply the criteria.

As for opening the debt, I seem to remember a six year limit of liability on debt if you have not been asked for it nor admitted to it. They appear to be trying all they can to start that clock ticking.

A letter to them denying the debt and explaining coercion for fol signing a repayment plan should suffice. Then, as others have said, ask them to prove the debt and make them aware you have written to the Minister. Also tell them you are considering action against them for fraud on their part. The accusation alone will have them running to a lawyer.

Nearly forgot, report the suspected fraud to the Police, in writing. As a minimum the police will have to consider your accusation.

4 Likes

Corrected the spull chocker errors.

So firstly thanks for all the advice folks.

I wrote them a massive fuck off letter which made it very easy for them to just fuck off or otherwise entail a lot of expensive work for them if they decided to pursue.

They decided to take no further action and refer the issue back to the Student Loans company - in other words they couldn’t prove the debt

Basically they’ve run off with their tails between their legs :rofl:

23 Likes

You can imagine how many people just roll over because they don’t know how to push back, or just assume it’s right because it’s ‘official’. And it’s always the most vulnerable in that situation.

Good for you. Maybe drop Which or Money saving expert a line as they both seem to be keeping an eye on the mess around student loans

1 Like

On the few occassions I have had to do similar I have found them extremely satsfying letters to compose and polish :grinning:

1 Like

That’s really good, and hopefully your daughter won’t stress about it anymore.

2 Likes