Stu's exhausting car search

I bought my first for this kinda money lasted four years without any serious bills, parts are cheap enough if summat does wear out …

I only changed as my bro sold me his one which had very few miles that one lasted another 5 and sold it for £500 as I recall …

Let it be said, I know nothing about cars and mostly couldn’t care less apart from reliability

1 Like

I’d get this Honda for £1000 - low miles - fsh - 1 owner and Hondas are bulletproof

5 Likes

With that mileage, it might be worth asking if it has had a replacement cam belt?

Ideally want an estate, and the Honda I bought a couple of cars ago failed badly on its first mot and I had to scrap it.
No doubt it was an unlucky one off as I usually here good reports on them.

Not sure, but think I read the focus from 05 have a chain, but I’d still ask.

Seems the 1.6 does have a cam belt

Does look a very good deal

That was a sore one Stu so I can understand your reluctance to buy another. FWIW, a few years ago I bought an old Civic for £1000. It was the previous model to the blue one I linked to. It had one lady owner, full service history and low miles. I ran it for years and it cost me basically nothing. Totally reliable. That blue one looks like the real deal to me but with any car of that age you’re taking a risk.

2 Likes

I had a 55 plate 1.6 Focus, think the cam belt is due at 100k. I sold it as it started to keep needing work, instrument panel failed, bonnet lock broke and various other bits. Didn’t have many problems for the first few years though.
Parts are generally cheap, you might be lucky.

1 Like

I’ve had 3 of those. Loved them.

Agree with a of that. They are starting to get pretty old now. Maybe try a 2005-6 model which is the latest year before they changed it and ruined it, although that’s still quite aged.

1 Like

I’m sure you know you can look up previous MoT on the government website?
Can be very useful to check dates. Mileage. And what has gone wrong before. Wife dodged some lemons using it, spotting recommendations on rusting and rot (horse box).

2 Likes

Yes, I did it last night with one as I had forgot you could

After exhausting every estate car search in the world, I’ve come up with nothing. There is a 2001 polo localish with 66,000 and only had 2 worn tyres as advisories on last mot.
I was in the process of seeing if I could get the Honda civic picked up from Swansea on a flatbed, but it had sold.

Please view this ad:

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Se 5dr,

Price: £ 1,100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumtree.android

2001 VOLVO XC70 2.4 GOOD CONDITION DRIVES WELL LONG MOT | eBay

1 Like

NISSAN PRIMERA 1.8 SE - ESTATE - 5 DOOR - 2004 - GREY ONLY 794 | eBay

Thanks for the links above.
Been in contact with polo lady in link above, and she would take less, its been serviced each year, but it’s still a 20 year old car.
Have decided on a 1.4 or smaller.
99% of the time I only do small local runs, and London maybe once a year.

1 Like

My neighbour, across the street, bought an Astra last year. I’ve walked past it ever since without paying much attention. But a couple of days ago I spotted this

Now I’m scared.

VB

2 Likes

That’s just Vauxhall trying to recreate the glory days of the 1985 Astra 1.6 GL. Trying, but failing.

I had a 1983 Astra 1.6 GL. It was a beast.