Stylus cleaning and Onzow controversy

A few years back my sister got me in to Metropolis studios for a private tour and to see them cutting the discs for the last live Bob Marley album.
The guy who was doing the cutting on the Neumann machine cleaned the tip by placing it on an old wine Cork. I asked him why he didn’t use something more exotic and he said that it was the way he was shown to do it by one of the old timers and saw no reason to change.

2 Likes

I like ‘Onzow Conspiracy’; sounds like a lost Ludlum novel. I use the DS Audio version of the sticky surface principle from time to time and it seems to work OK although I don’t get a microscope out afterwards.

1 Like

I use the DS Audio sticky pad. My Phasemation went for an inspection a few months ago and got a big thumbs up from Ana Mighty Sound so I’ll continue to use the DS Audio pad quite happily.

Comes in a qwality little metal tin too. I’m a sucker for shit like that.

You’re getting old and subconsciously pining for these

It’ll be travel sweets, tartan blankets and a box of tissues on the parcel shelf next if you’re not careful.

1 Like

Only if you pretend to be my Granddad and let me have one as a treat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When cutting the record the stylus is heated. Still not sure about the cork thing though.

Stylus cleaning bake off is required

1 Like

I was told by the man at North west analogue to only use a soft brush or blow the dust off he said my stylus was full of crud because i was using a sticky gel.

Is this not discouraged due to getting moisture in the gubbins?

Use a lens puffer.
Any extra faff is worthwhile!

1 Like

Audio lab-yah! Does science and stuff

Here is a clean(ish) magnifying glass

Here is a not so clean onzow out of its box

I’m going to imprecisely splat it down

Here comes the splat

Here is the magnifying glass with a perfect impression of the onzow on it

Chronically flawed methodology. The onzow wasn’t clean to start with, down force applied etc etc Thing is I don’t clean the onzow every day. I’m not putting much stock into this but would welcome anyone else daft enough to have a go and see what occurs

Stronzi PhD

3 Likes

Doo doo doo doo.

That is discouraging…

1 Like

Dearest Earl Maureen, I believe you to be a gentleman of highest caliber. As such I think of you as as kindred idiot. Fancy doing an experiment with your Onzow?

2 Likes

I think you should caveat that request with “that doesn’t involve your penis”

4 Likes

Fair point, well made.

I think the VP product is somewhat different to the gel Onzo one, from memory I think Mark talked about it being some form of visco elastic polymer similar to sorbothane and as far as I am aware there aren’t any issues with residue ever being identified as being left behind from its use…

It will be interesting to see what product MF recommends/markets as a replacement

I’ve got decent results from a belt sander, don’t go lower than 60g or your asking for trouble. :+1:

8 Likes

I have next to me my old, much-used VP Dust Buster (original formula) and a brand-new unopened one. When I have walked the doggos, I shall undertake some experimentations…

Science_Motherfuckers

5 Likes