Synology NAS recommendation

If Synology has an app similar to QNAP’s Container Station which runs Dockers in a GUI, I would consider it as a newb. I believe the LMS community has now released an “official” LMS Docker, whereas before it was people releasing their own homebrew versions.

If Synology don’t do one, Chris is right, Pis are brilliant for running LMS. And cheap.

1 Like

I remember why I sold my logitech sbt all those years ago, it was so fcuking complicated to get going with my nas, and speaking of nas, I tried out of boredom to resurrect my qnap ts-115 and see if my sonos or Google cca could use it in some way. Well it just put me in a angry humour now, so much so that I want to smash it into a thousand pieces. I couldn’t even get it to work with my virgin media router.

My conclusion is DIY computer music is not worth the time of day and when I had my sbt I listened to less music such was the pissing about.

I agree that is you don’t know how networking etc works, it’s a very steep and unpleasant learning curve.

You’ve just read about a very niche situation that I’m trying to help someone with, and you’ve just jumped on it.

It’s as hard as putting a cartridge on a record player. If you’ve never done that, it’s pretty hard.

To be fair, it’s easy to put a cartridge on but hard to do it well. With networking some things have a good chance of not working at all unless you go down the rabbit hole.

That said, know thyself - there are plenty of systems that work well first time. They might be more expensive and less flexible, but they will work.

Anyone can glue a cartridge on backwards to the top of a headshell with Araldite.

Can you stop over-analysing analogies?

1 Like

As a stop gap I have loaded LMS on my PC connected to network. Works fine but means I need the PC on when I listen. Not much of an issue just need to remember.

The BBC Sounds app on LMS is brilliant.

Have you considered getting a Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

I’ll bet @J_B 's house would burn down if he tried that

:persevere:

Going to expose myself for the novice I am
Daughter moves out in 2 weeks, so I’m being promoted to a bigger bedroom over the current prison cell with a nice veiw one.

My laptop is pretty much useless, so everything I do has been on the phone for the last couple of years.
Laptop only gets turned on when I want to use the squeezebox.
Was thinking of getting a cheap 2nd hand pc for the bedroom.
Question is, is a nas just a storage thing, or can it be used as a pc tower as well.?

Would be great not having to boot something up to listen to the squeezebox

Buy a cheap tablet, run LMS on it, done.
I have a friend using my old £60 tablet.
Never turns it off, and it has never faltered in over two years.

1 Like

You need something to run the server on, Greg.

LMS is the server?

the remote runs on a tablet, not the server.

Logitech Media Server.

I am running LMS on a Windows tablet.

A £60 Windows tablet?

Yep!

What make and model is that then?

Something like this

What’s the music stored on?